Fingerprint system for Mumbai cyber cafes?

Ceres

We have already seen a number of controversial security proposals.

The latest proposal is to make it compulsory for Mumbai cyber cafes to take fingerprints of customers:

Mumbai police recently chalked out a plan to make fingerprint scanners mandatory at internet cafes further increasing its control over cyber cafe’s. The talks have already started between cafe owners and police to discuss nitty-gritty of the proposed plan. This certainly seems to have irked cafe owners as they are already reeling under current stringent rules regarding recording of user information and this would only make things tough for them.
I understand there's a need to implement security measures, but all this seems very OTT to me. Customers already show photo ID and his/her address is noted down. I'd feel like some kind of criminal if my fingerprints were also taken each time I went to a cyber cafe. :eek:

If this proposal is implemented, I wouldn' be surprised if less people end up using cyber cafes. What do you think of this proposal by the Mumbai police? Would you care if your fingerprints were taken at cyber cafes?

pubdomains.in

It's not going to deter those who are bent upon using internet for any illegal activity.

With datacards getting cheap, and prices for laptops going down - this would be another blow to business for cybercafe.

Ceres

With datacards getting cheap, and prices for laptops going down - this would be another blow to business for cybercafe.
Yes, so it's no surprise cybercafe owners are unhappy with the latest proposal! They probably realise all this as well.

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Fingerprinting is for criminals, not internet users. This is way OTT. I'd agree that this will hurt business dramatically.

Ceres

If this proposal is implemented, I wouldn' be surprised if less people end up using cyber cafes.
It seems that a lot of cyber cafes are now shutting shop as a result of such strict security measures. See story here to read what's happening with cyber cafes in Kanpur.

Another reason why some cyber cafes might be going out of business is that more people are now connected to the internet via their own computers, laptops and mobile phones.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ceres Mobile Fingerprint Scanners The Lounge 7
Prashant Sharan NameSilo has revenues of $7.85 M and is gearing up with domain brokerage system Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Bob Hawkes interviews the Inventor of the Domain Name System Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ Changes to China’s domain name system The Lounge 0
JulienJ Ryder System Acquires Coop.com For New Vehicle Sharing Offering Non-Indian Domains 0
D Best home security system for indian domain investors Legal Issues and Dispute 0
domainking131 Summary of recent outrage of expiring domain name auctions system on GoDaddy Registrars 0
domainking131 GoDaddy acquires Name.com portfolio + Expiry System Non-Indian Domains 0
I Contact 10 end-users for only $8.99 --> New PreSelecting Model- Sell your names with our new system For Sale / Advertising 1
domainking131 Special IP Address Alerts System Administrators of Potential Threats Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 ICANN reinventing WhoIs System Non-Indian Domains 0
CyberKing ICANN: Draft Implementation Plan for the WHOIS Online Accuracy and Reporting System The Lounge 0
the_poet India Joins the International Trademark System at WIPO Legal Issues and Dispute 2
D PM System Working?? I appear to have Lost a PM :( The Lounge 9
R possystem.in [POS SYSTEM] Credit Card Processing For Sale 0
Ceres INDRP: AndhraPrabha.in & Google-Money-System.in Legal Issues and Dispute 0
the_poet Audio system related .co.in domain Domain Appraisals 7
Ceres Court challenges India's caste system The Lounge 6
J Favorite Content Management System Webmaster Forum 2
anquest Digital Marketers' Awards 2016 | The Taj Lands End / Mumbai | Thu, Dec 15 | Co-Located: #DoTheMobile Indian Websites and Start-ups 0
anquest 'World Hosting Days' INDIA 2015 | The Grand Hyatt/Mumbai | Thu, Oct 29 | Partners: VeriSign, GoDaddy Hosting 0
R WHD- Mumbai on 29th October General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
anquest Digital Money 2015 | The Taj Lands End, Mumbai | TUE, OCT 13 | Execs fr. RBI, PayTM, PayPal Speaking Business and Economy 0
R Mumbai.One at flippa auction External Auctions 0
domainking131 A Domain+Mobile Conference in Mumbai: DigitalCon is coming! General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
anquest Internet Users (Millions) >> (1) Mumbai: 16.40 (2) Delhi: 12.15 (3) Kolkata: 6.27 General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
the_poet Infiniti Retail Limited of Mumbai, India, GUILTY RDNH of Croma.com General Indian Domain Name Discussion 6
ebiz4india World's tallest residential tower in Mumbai, INDIA. The Lounge 1
I From Madison St. to Mumbai: Quick Response (QR) Codes rule the world General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
Jeff More Bomb Blasts in Mumbai The Lounge 7
Jeff Dot Mumbai General Indian Domain Name Discussion 8
kussy Mumbai Domainers Meetup The Lounge 8
M need reliable .COM registrar from mumbai/india General Indian Domain Name Discussion 2
Ceres TheComedyStore.in: The Comedy Store Mumbai Indian Websites and Start-ups 3
Ceres CopConnect.in: A Mumbai Police Dept. Initiative Indian Websites and Start-ups 0
Ceres Mumbai 26/11 - Kasab gets death penalty The Lounge 1
Ceres Remembering Mumbai Terror Attacks The Lounge 1
Ceres Danny Boyle to Direct Mumbai Thriller? The Lounge 1
Ceres Mumbai Movie - Too Soon? The Lounge 3
Jeff At Least 7 Terrorist Strikes in Mumbai The Lounge 11
Ceres British Expats Living in Mumbai The Lounge 0
Ceres Live Earth: Mumbai, India 2008 The Lounge 1
Ceres Mumbai Blogger Meet Webmaster Forum 10
F hi from Farhan, Mumbai Introduce Yourself 6
Jeff Mumbai Blogger Meet 2008 Indian Websites and Start-ups 2
FishSEO Mumbai Names: Shopping, Job, Club For Sale 2