February 16th

IT.com
I have no clue - but in the LLL.in scan and in the scans of 3-5 word .co.in and .in names, there are about 15% of ALL registrations that occured on that day.

Literally, hundreds if not a few thousand domains will expire on that day.

I figured it out... From February 16, 2005 the .in domain name was available for registration without any restriction.

Once available to only a small group, .IN domain names is now available to everyone who wants one. Companies, individuals, and organizations in India and abroad will be eligible. Show your pride by using a .IN domain name -- the symbol of India's future!

With India emerging as a global destination for IT outsourcing/off-shoring, Indian organisations should change the domain names of their websites and e-mail IDs to sport .in at the end, just like other countries.

Beginning in early 2005, anyone who wants to register a .IN domain name will be allowed to. Registration will also be open to parties inside and outside of India, without restriction. For the first time, domains will be available at the second level -- easy-to-use and easy-to-remember domains such as "mydomain.in". Registration at the third level will also be open. There will be a variety of popular extensions available, such as mydomain.co.in, myorganization.org.in, and more!

The new era for .IN has just begin for the general public as planned on February 16, 2005.

http://www.aalphanet.com/IN-domains.htm

And more from Circle ID:
Registrants started asking about how to get their own .IN domain soon after NIXI took responsibility on January 1. By the time the registry opened for real-time registrations on February 16, more than 33,000 names were snapped up in the first minutes. By the end of the first week, the 50,000 mark was crossed. Less than 100 days into its re-launch, .IN is about to pass the 100,000 registration milestone. Along the way, almost 30 registrars are already accredited and a domain name industry is starting to form in the country.
http://www.circleid.com/posts/how_indias_in_domain_rouses_from_its_slumber/

Yep - theres a huge number of great domains that were registered between the 16th and 18th of February, so its going to be an excellent time to watch for drops.

People with great domains are unlikely to let them drop, but there may be very good ones available

just one ques - is there no grace period and redemption period for .in domains? if so, then none of these domains will drop on feb 16 but may be 60 days or so later - whatever that period is...

Does that mean that the domain will actually drop the same day it expires??? no second chance for the original domain owner? thats pretty risky and highly prone to cybersquatting. I mean just think if some pour soul forgets to renew for whatever reason, he can be nicely screwed up by those sharks sitting out there...

I am sure there will be redemption/grace period.
It will be tough for individual to go after the premium .in names as enom & directi will be aggressively going for these .in domains.
Moreover, I checked with couple of owners of top .in keyword and they have set auto renewal on.

Hi a2zofb2b - welcome to INForum.in :)

I'd be amazed if any of the major domains did drop but its definitely worth watching out for that 1% chance...

A really good proportion of the grade-A domains are up for renewal on the 16th.

My question still remains the same - does anybody know if there is any grace period and redemption period for .in domains or not. when will the domains actually drop - feb 16th or later?

Many may be on auto-renew, there will be many cases where the holders failed to update their credit card info, or is their credit card no-longer valid.

DomainDevelopers said:
My question still remains the same - does anybody know if there is any grace period and redemption period for .in domains or not. when will the domains actually drop - feb 16th or later?

I think I found your answer from some of my own domains that have expired. You have roughly 30 days from the day your domain name expires until it will be available to register by the public again.
During these 30 days you may "restore" the domain name back into your account at the registrar you use.
Now here is the catch: It will cost you $75!! (this is at Resellers, but probably the same or close anywhere else).
So, if you messed up, and it is a really good name, do you "restore", so there is no chance of losing it?
Or, do you gamble, and let it expire, then hope you are the first one to catch it again.
I have a LLL.co.in I let expire. I was going to restore it, until I saw the $75. I gamble, and try to catch it again. I have 2 good "mobile" names, I just might pay the $75 apiece for.

Maybe someone else can read the below, and see if they agree with what I said.
RESTORE:
http://dn.resellers.co.in/servlet/V...ualbarproductkey=domain_registration&p=domain

Frank

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom