Elliot Silver: Strong Registration Numbers Does Not Equal Strong Aftermarket

IT.com

Digital Pandit

Country flag
Over the weekend, I wrote about the number of registered .Dev domain names surpassing the 100,000 mark. I think the initial registration numbers are quite strong for this new gTLD extension. Maybe it’s because I am not in the development space, but I never would have guessed there would be any significant demand for .Dev domain names, and it looks like I would have been wrong.

That being said, just because a lot of domain names are being hand registered, it does not necessarily indicate that there will be an aftermarket for the domain names. Without an aftermarket, investing in a specific extension would end up being a waste of money and a waste of time.

I have seen and highlighted quite a few websites that use new gTLD domain names. I can see the utility in some of them. Rather than having a long and/or hyphenated .com, using another legacy extension, or paying a lot of money for a good .com domain name, a business can get an interesting new gTLD domain name at the registration fee. That makes sense to me. I don’t know whether or not I would use one for a business, but I might consider it depending on the circumstances.

Full article source

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
angemon
Top Bottom