Don't Undersell your Premium Keyword .in and .co.in Domains

IT.com

Aubits

Country flag
Have been wanting to post something to this effect and then saw the Bicycle.in sale this week. Now that was a huge undersell for $1000. Before I comment, there could be valid reasons for a seller to make the sale, but if you can afford to, hold on to it with patience.

Its a great example of a Product Keyword (bicycle) that represents a very large market in India and worldwide (multi billion dollar market). As a ballpark, I would have held that domain for atleast $25000 to begin with.

Not every domain will command those kinds of value, but before you undersell think about the market for that product or service domain name. Good luck.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks for reminding us to always focus on the potential value of our .in and .co.in domains.India's potential is what drew us into these extensions in the 1st place.

Bicycle dot IN was an undersell,but the plural version is the way more superior one.

Thanks for reminding us to always focus on the potential value of our .in and .co.in domains.India's potential is what drew us into these extensions in the 1st place.

Bicycle dot IN was an undersell,but the plural version is the way more superior one.

The plural is not necessarily better, it does sound better. But not if you look up Google Adwords keyword tool. Bicycle has more exact match..
Well, both are good.

$1000 for bicycle.in is a mighty good deal. No one says bicycle in India - people say cycle or saaikal (just a pun) depending on the region they are from. Two major political parties have it as their election symbol but they too say "vote for cycle" not "vote for bicycle!"

Common consumers just don't understand generics, they go by brand image. Avon Cycle, Hero Cycle etc. Anyway cycles and cycling is not very popular at the moment... The middle class is busy upgrading themselves to 4-wheelers and the lower income group to "bikes". (Bi)Cycle is passe' :(

Last edited by a moderator:
$1000 for bicycle.in is a mighty good deal. No one says bicycle in India - people say cycle or saaikal (just a pun) depending on the region they are from. Two major political parties have it as their election symbol but they too say "vote for cycle" not "vote for bicycle!"

Common consumers just don't understand generics, they go by brand image. Avon Cycle, Hero Cycle etc. Anyway cycles and cycling is not very popular at the moment... The middle class is busy upgrading themselves to 4-wheelers and the lower income group to "bikes". (Bi)Cycle is passe' :(

You make good points, am not arguing the usage of "Cycle" in India. But if there is a serious end user, they would have paid much higher price for this. Just to verify, I checked Google adwords tools and if you look at Global exact search - Bicycle has 4 times the search number than Cycle. So it depends on how you look at it, based on these numbers and global possibility for an Indian manufacturer of bicycles, I would still value it as such.

Just to add..it boils down to how you value .in domain names. People have many factors, but clearly
- Adwords keyword tool - exact search - global and local are good starting points
- Google CPC for the keyword is another factor
- I have seen people say 24 months as a good valuation period

So if you have Bicycle.in, it has 200,000 global exact search per month at $0.50 per click. Or if you use local India search, there is 9000 exact search for Bicycle. So if you got all the clicks for the search it would be worth $0.5*9000 = $4500

With Bicycle.in you could rank #1 on Google in India or in Top 3, so lets assume 33% of the clicks or 33%of $4500 (clicks drop depending on where you are ranked on google)
which is $1500 per month.
$1500*24 month = $36,000

(Note: I saw someone make a similar calculation for valuation, its a ball park. I like it as a starting point)

Again, the point is to not undersell the Premium domains...

By the way, I sold a .co.in product keyword domain with 74,000 global exact search and only 1600 India search in the low $xx,xxx. So it is possible if the right buyer comes to you. Patience...

if we talk about end user perspective, google adwords, cpc and all other are just good to have @high valuation / rank etc.

it depends on domainer why they are keeping domain - for sale primarily focussing on end-users or parking or development etc.

as most of the domainers have limited budget and have to generate revenue via parking or minisites or any other method, we tend to focus the domain cost w.r.t. keywords and its value in the market. this is wrong!

Got it, not all domainers are created equal, some are short term buyers and sellers (nothing wrong with that). Selling to fellow domainers will invariably end up in an undersell. True value is usually recognized by end users.

The good news is that prices are trending up and .in/.co.in prices are today where .com was in early stages. As more global and local (Indian multinational companies) get involved, valuations of domains could reach their potential.

By the way, I sold a .co.in product keyword domain with 74,000 global exact search and only 1600 India search in the low $xx,xxx. So it is possible if the right buyer comes to you. Patience...

Congrats on your sale! Did they approach you first and do you know anything about the actual buyer?

Thanks!

Congrats on your sale! Did they approach you first and do you know anything about the actual buyer?

Thanks!

Yes, the buyer approached me (this is little over a year ago) and requested a price. The email did not reveal anything much about the buyer, but I wasn't ready to sell the domain to any other domainer. Quoted my best price and he came back the next day, with an offer that was $5000 less than my asking price. I took it...my best sale to date for a domain name in over 10 yrs.

I later find out the buyer was in a hurry to acquire names of the same keyword in many cctlds worldwide including .in. (they bought .co.in from me). They must have paid the .in owner in the mid $xx,xxx atleast (my guess). Its a large corporation and the product the domain represented is a multi billion dollar market worldwide and maybe a multi billion dollar market in India itself in the near future.

I understand these things don't happen all the time, so patience is the key to meet that right buyer. Not every dictionary word will be worth high value, but if it represents a large market in India or worldwide, hold on for a great price.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom