Domain World Cup

IT.com

Ceres

So you don't have a spare $186,000 to apply for a new gTLD? An alternative might be to enter your idea for the new TLD in the Domain World Cup. ;)

The contest is being organised by Interlink, a Japan-based ISP, and is open to everyone.

Applicants are being asked to think of the most wanted top-level domain for internet users. The applicant with the best idea will receive $10,000.

In addition, if the TLD is accepted by ICANN, the winner will also receive $1 per domain registered for the next 10 years. If the TLD is successful, this could prove to be a great source of income over the years.

The winner will be announced on 30 November 2009.

Neat idea. I just submitted my entry.

There's a big catch though: "Please note that if there are two or more winners, the prize of US$ 10,000 and the revenue share of US$ 1.00 will be shared equally among the winners."

For the one I submitted, there were already 200 people who had submitted it - that's only $50 per winner, and the contest is still open for many months...

Interesting idea but of course the most popular and acceptable by ICANN will be a nailed on winner and will have hundreds of "winners" and I wonder if ICANN have agreed to the "payment" per registration.

The organisers could of course ensure there is no problem by choosing a name unacceptable to ICANN then only $10k is at risk distributed amongst the winners.

DomainWorldCup.com was registered by a well known UK domainer, not much forethought by the organisers to miss that!

They got WDC WorldDomainCup sponsored by INTERLINK

Last edited by a moderator:
... I wonder if ICANN have agreed to the "payment" per registration.

wot, do you they need ICANN's permission to implement the "payment" per registration?

The organisers could of course ensure there is no problem by choosing a name unacceptable to ICANN then only $10k is at risk distributed amongst the winners.

Yes, it's always possible. I suppose we can view this contest with cynicism or naivety. I'm not sure which is best. :eek:

DomainWorldCup.com was registered by a well known UK domainer, not much forethought by the organisers to miss that!

Yes, well spotted. WorldDomainCup.com was registered on 16 March 2009, and DomainWorldCup.com was registered on 26 June 2009. Unfortunately, it gets expensive for companies to register every single potential domain for defensive reasons.

wot, do you they need ICANN's permission to implement the "payment" per registration?

No idea but it would certainly be an administrative nightmare unless it was limited to one registrar. :cool:

...and the winning TLD is .earth. What do you think? I thought a more commercial name would win.

As 254 people suggested .earth, the prize of $10,000 USD will be equally divided between these participants - that works out to be nearly $40 per person. Also, the winners will share a $1 revenue for each domain registered.

Here are the runners up:

.inc
.free
.smile
.one
.art
.moe
.site
.book
.anime
.lol 
.game
.moon
.media
.bank

Alas, my suggestion didn't make it to the top 15 ;). Did your one make it on the list?

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom