Domain transfers

IT.com

marsh

I used to think that the process of domain transferring was the same with all registrars, until I realized that variations are common. In fact, in some cases, you may not be able to transfer a domain 60 days after registration. Others even charge a fee and so this underlines the importance of checking the transfer policy before anything else.

I agree that it is very important to check the transfer policy and understand it really well. It can very disappointing to find out that you cannot transfer a domain when you really need to do so.

Domain transfers are common but I now see how there'd be a problem if there wasn't such a provision in the policy. That can really be devastating and it is the sole reason why choosing a host should be a careful and systematic process. I wouldn't want to learn this the hard way.

I agree I had to learn this the hard way. I was working on a new site and decided to host it with a different hosting company than I had previously had when I bought my domain name. I tried to transfer my domain but had to wait a couple of months before I could make it happen. Really bummed me out having to use a prefab domain name until mine could be released.

The 60 day wait on transferring is an ICANN rule to prevent premature and/or unauthorized transfers Quote below is straight from ICANN's website:

If I bought a name through one registrar, am I allowed to switch to a different registrar?

<Quote>
Yes. The Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy, applicable to all ICANN-accredited registrars, provides that registered name holders must be able to transfer their domain name registrations between registrars. You must wait 60 days after the initial registration or any previous transfers to initiate a transfer.
<Unquote>

That rule should be in place for every registrar as it is an ICANN policy. A Domain Push is something else altogether and does not require any waiting period.

You have to always read the fine print, too many people forget that. No company is the same and many polices vary depending on the company.

This resource quoted here is furnished by LogicBoxes but pertains to all accredited registrars. The 60 day lock is required on .com and .in by ICANN for ALL accredited registrars. As @owl said, there are many extensions where the lock is not required. LogicBoxes (of which I am a reseller, see KlickTheWeb.com) is only listing the extensions that they deal with.

Now for your question about a "domain push". Restrictions on pushes varies widely with the registrar. With my reseller account (klicktheweb) I have to wait until the "Money Back Grace Period" is over (4 days for a .in), then the domain can be pushed to another account on klicktheweb. I believe that DynaDot allows a push immediately IF you wavier your Money Back Grace Period and the buyer has a Dynadot account.

Let's say that you register a domain with Dynadot, then 5 days later you sell the domain. If the buyer already has a Dynadot account, you push the domain to them at that time. This avoids the 60 day lock for transfers because the domain is still with Dynadot. The buyer still can not transfer away from Dynadot until the 60 days from date of original registration have past, but if they sell the domain again, they can push to another buyer with a Dynadot account. Most really good registrars will allow pushes. I am aware to two registrars that do not allow pushes. OnlineNic will allow a push from one reseller to another reseller only. the bad news is if the buyer is not a reseller with OnlineNic, the must become an reseller and it cost $100 to become a reseller. I try not to use OnlineNic if I am trying to sell the domain name. DomainBox on the other hand does not allow a push under any circumstances. So check with your registrar to find out if they allow pushes and if not, find another registrar that does if you are trying to to a quick flip of domains.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom