Domain Privacy - a must!

IT.com

chaudi

Hey guys, I think we should seriously set up a online petition to force the .in registrar to provide some sort of privacy. In Canada, we have this for free with .ca.
This is important way to increase the value of .in domains, which all want to do right;)
As is it now non privacy issue is a serious draw back with own a .in. I think .in must be the only extension that doesn't offer whois privacy?

I can appreciate that some registrants want to use whois privacy. One main disadvantage is that there are unscrupulous people who will try and hide behind whois privacy while trying to scam you. How can we reduce this element of risk?

I've come across domain decisions where complainants will try and argue that use of whois privacy is a sign that the respondent is engaging in bad faith.

Here's the actual link to the terms and conditions for registrants of Indian domains which prohibit the use of any kind of proxy services.

What do others think?

I'm torn on the issue of privacy.

With .co.uk, individual owners can opt out of public disclosure of domain records.
Obviously, with gTLD's, privacy is available and a function of the registry.
In some ccTLD's, privacy is strictly forbidden.

I get free privacy through Fabulous, but rarely use it. I like it as an option (and do use it on a few names), yet there is a part of me that thinks it should all be public record.

Many important reasons:

1) Privacy. Why would i want my name and address, email all over the internet? Google or other data miner can study what domains someone has. Anyone can send you spam.

2) Theft. Much easy to steal a domain if you know all the information about the owner.

3) Developers privacy. If you are web designer it's common to register domain for your clients. Conflicted web site by the same owner may look very bad.

4) Harassment. Without privacy your open to harassment. For example there is no way an impoverished Indian can defend himself in court against a domain challenge. Also for a foreigner it maybe too difficult to defend.

5) Identity theft. Say they read your blog, now they know who you are where, what you look like, who your friend are etc. Extortion.

6) Safety. If your a women you may be attacked because someone falling in love with your picture. Man too of course more likely you could be attacked because someone dissipates with what your web site says. Maybe you have review site and someone went out of business because of a bad review on your web site. Do you want all the crazies in the world to know where you live?

7) Unprofessional. Reduces value of .in domains. Makes them less desirable.

ceres,
"One main disadvantage is that there are unscrupulous people who will try and hide behind whois privacy while trying to scam you. How can we reduce this element of risk? "
Your real name and credentials will be safely stored with the .in register. If your doing something wrong, they will find you.
But is more likely that domainers will suffer in then future due to lack of privacy issues because anyone in the whole world can find about you in one click!

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that full or partial?

Anyways it just takes one small change, make registration data only seen by register.in staff and not the general public. That's it - one small change. All the agreements terms are the same.

We have detail discussion on this issue with .IN registry , they clearly mentioned that whois privacy in any case is not allowed and if any domain is reported to them then they can suspend the domain and registrar will be responsible for such fault.

If you do domain whois privacy then do it at your own risk with any registrar and till it is not reported to registry your whois privacy will work .........

Some people provide a partial address with no house number, is it considered valid by the registry?

Some people provide a partial address with no house number, is it considered valid by the registry?

No, Same is not valid, If whois record proved wrong then you can file complaint with Registrar or .IN registry , Whois record will be rectified and if same is not rectified then will get suspended.

One can choose to either stick to the norms laid down by the registry or go their own way with potential risks involved in it.

I suppose no one is going to walk up to someone to check if they've stuck to the norms laid down.

If someone is not abiding by the norms, in all probability they know it even before someone lets them know.

The point of the thread was not how you can circumvent the .in registrar. The point was to suggest that we band together, start a petition, make our voice heard about this issue.

Registrar.in would still have peoples genuine identities, names addresses etc. stored safe and sound in their files but only accessible by the Registrar staff or by court order.

Registrar.in would provide privacy automatically as part of the registration service. This is what i'm saying: only a small change needs to occur not even the agreement but the way the .in registar is doing things.
I believe the agreement doesn't say that .in ownership must be made public, but simple says that the ownership must have correct information?
If you deal with any business you don't expect them broadcast your name, address and email to the world do you?

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom