Domain on Indian Premier League

IT.com

josephmundadan

Hi,
Just happened to register my new Domain name. All of you, please quote your comments about this Domain and let me know if it was worth registering.
IPLGallery.com​

The Indian Premier League (IPL) is a Professional version of Twenty20 Competition organised by the BCCI, and it has Official sanction since it has the backing of the ICC. It features the World's Best Cricketers playing their affiliation decided by open auction, for Eight City based Franchises, owned by a host of Businessmen and Celebrity Consortiums.

A Gallery online, exclusively dedicated for the Indian Premier League, will provide all the information about the same, and users will get information like Teams and it's members, Schedules, Venues, Photographs and much, much more. Also, users will get Opportunity to win Special prizes and IPL Tickets.

Thank you for that appreciation. I think I need to develop the website very soon, as it is only 20 days to IPL Season 2. Am I right guys?

someone apparently got in trouble for registering IPL.IN..he had to later give up the domain..so be a little careful with what you put on it..

I'd think this is a risky domain to develop as it could be taken away from you and you'd lose all of your development and marketing.

why is it being considered as risky domain? if someone has registered before anyone does, wats wrong in it? may be a stupid question but i m curious to know. when and how a domain becomes a risk?

Thanks

why is it being considered as risky domain? if someone has registered before anyone does, wats wrong in it? may be a stupid question but i m curious to know. when and how a domain becomes a risk?

Hi radiant_luv, I'm guessing that when the BCCI created this competition, they acquired certain rights over the term IPL. BCCI likely have trademark or common law rights attached to the term IPL, used in association with cricket etc.

Hi radiant_luv, I'm guessing that when the BCCI created this competition, they acquired certain rights over the term IPL. BCCI likely have trademark or common law rights attached to the term IPL, used in association with cricket etc.

However, if you people can have a look for IPL.in in your web browser, you can see that the site is still in the hands of some third parties and it is parked in SEDO. Why?

Hi josephmundadan, that's the domain mentioned by RaghavK above, and I don't know the details of what happened.

In any event, IPL.in is not currently trying to trade off the goodwill of the well-known IPL brand. The point to note is that IPL.in does not display any cricket-related ads or content (right now, it's a parked page). If it did, then there would be a risk that BCCI can win an INDRP case against the owner of IPL.in, with a complaint that the owner is simply trying to trade off their goodwill. That's not the case right now.

As IPL is a well-known term in India in relation to cricket, I wonder if it's safer for the owner of IPL.in to develop the website instead of parking it (obviously in a non-cricket area).

What does everyone else think? Please share your views so we can all learn from each other.

Interesting. What if a common user already had registered the domain earlier to a term came up. for example: IPL (Indian Premiere League), i think this term would be 2 years old.
There is a website already exist "IPL.com" an IT company. Both BCCI and this IT company can't have same registered name.

Any more information / ideas?

Thanks

If you registered an IPL domain before the Indian Premiere League existed, and don't use it for anything to do with the Indian Premiere League, you would be safe.

There is a website already exist "IPL.com" an IT company. Both BCCI and this IT company can't have same registered name.

Two identical trademarks can co-exist if they're dealing in different channels of trade. For example, IPL used in association with cricket, and IPL used in association with computers.

The reason they can co-exist is that there is little likelihood that consumers will get confused between the goods/services offered by each company (as they are each operating in different business areas). However, there's an important exception to the above rule - see well-known trademarks.

Another thing to note is that IPL.com is targeting consumers in the United Kingdom. It has nothing to do with the Indian market (as far as I can tell).

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom