Domain negotiations : Never refer to “alternative options” when seeking to buy a domain

IT.com

JulienJ

Everyone wants to buy a domain name as cheap as possible.

Beginning with this axiom, the domain seller’s perspective is the exact opposite: maximize Return On Investment.

It’s 2018, and and endless line of new companies and partnerships, start-ups and non-profits pop up, in need of a domain name.

Expectations vary, but the overall approach of these potential domain buyers remains driven by cost.

There are many ways to approach a domain seller and place a reasonable offer. When given a bare minimum price, the worst thing to do is to respond with a statement claiming to have “alternative options.”

When I receive such statements, it’s obvious to me that the other party is really a weak negotiator.

If you can’t name your counter-offer but rely on the seller to give you a discount for no real reason, other than the fact that you might get a different domain, you’ve lost the negotiation game from the get-go. I’m not afraid to shut the door to a customer with a budget that can’t meet my asking price, and who attempts to get a deal based on such silly tactics.

I really don’t care to hear about your alternative options.

You’re reaching out to me because you want my domain name. If you have budgetary constraints, I might be able to discuss options related to pricing, e.g. lease to own availability. If you believe that a few weeks later you will be able to come back and meet my asking price, no problem with that, either.

To hear, however, that you have alternative options is akin to walking into an art gallery, asking for a discount just because you can buy any art elsewhere.

Source

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom