Domain names becoming big business in China (.IN's WAKE UP CALL and need for a 4.CN)

IT.com

CyberKing

Domain Investor
Country flag
Amid the mushrooming of P2P (peer-to-peer) internet business platforms, business-platform domain names have become a precious commodity, as various parties vie with each other for appealing domain names, either to safeguard their business interests or to sell them for a windfall.
An insider said that the domain name "wanda.com" could fetch a cool price of 20 million yuan (US$3.3 million) on the market, due to its association with Wanda Group, a leading realty firm in China, according to Shanghai's China Business News.

Domain names becoming big business in China

India needs a specific and dynamic web 2.0 (or 3.0) marketplace like a 4.CN - Come on .IN lets go!

Re: Domain names becoming big business in China (.IN's WAKE UP CALL and need for a 4.

India needs a specific and dynamic web 2.0 (or 3.0) marketplace like a 4.CN - Come on .IN lets go!

Anyone out there who sees a need for a similar India specific marketplace?

Re: Domain names becoming big business in China (.IN's WAKE UP CALL and need for a 4.

Anyone out there who sees a need for a similar India specific marketplace?

I don't think the issue is the lack of marketplace - if the need were there, someone would fill it.

I don't think the issue is the lack of marketplace - if the need were there, someone would fill it.

I guess the basics ( volume and demand) are not there .....Most of the end user sales in a trickle, seem to be at SEDO mixed up with several other domain extensions.

I guess the basics ( volume and demand) are not there .....Most of the end user sales in a trickle, seem to be at SEDO mixed up with several other domain extensions.

I think there are multiple issues, like you pointed demand is one of them and most important. The others I can think of are:

* Awareness: Not many from India are aware of the value of domain names. Lets not go into why here, because it needs a separate thread,
* Resistance of Registry: The registry still has a mindset that domainers of .in should not exist and hence all growth should be driven by end users. I haven't seen any auction of .in domains by SEDO or other platforms. I think the registry does not like people making money out of domains. Its a noble cause, but this is what is holding back .in domains from really taking off.

@ Ace Well said ..I also think "We"... the collective we are just at a nascent stage in India and everything moves at a snail's pace here (that too is an understatement). End user demand is key:

1. Awaiting Online Consumption to really take off beyond just the "millions with access" metrics (by ISP/Telco's/Infra wanting to just create a buzz)
2. e-Commerce is at an inflection point (see my post in lounge) with its hurdles along the way
3. We just need to "develop" more online properties which are India Centric (we are starting here with custom Angies List and Sedo models)
4. Niche penetration is encouraging (farmers using marketplaces, weather access, OLX/Quikr being well used)
5. Stock Market recognition is also encouraging - successful IPOs/exits are critical for future investments
6. Ventures are now more software product focused, cloud services focused (XaaS, where X- P, I , S, etc) hence need a significant "online brand"
7. Zuck's recent comment at Internet.Org event about how content needs to still reach Non English speaking users worldwide is a important one too in India's context!
8. Last but not the least the Early Stage Start-up and Investment scene is hotter than I have ever seen before, "valley" culture is penetrating deep into certain select hubs...

Now for those into economics, demand theories abound, including supply constraints, desire/trends, what have you, we are not even close to scratching the surface on demand. Now for every 100 DOT COMs, if the owners secured a DOT IN we could see a major uptick...and why not? Given how many global brands (at least a dozen a week IMO) are making a bee line to establish their presence here in India...the future looks very bright!

How about this for a tag line: Have You Built A .IN Site Today?

Last edited by a moderator:

I think there are multiple issues, like you pointed demand is one of them and most important. The others I can think of are:

* Awareness: Not many from India are aware of the value of domain names. Lets not go into why here, because it needs a separate thread,
* Resistance of Registry: The registry still has a mindset that domainers of .in should not exist and hence all growth should be driven by end users. I haven't seen any auction of .in domains by SEDO or other platforms. I think the registry does not like people making money out of domains. Its a noble cause, but this is what is holding back .in domains from really taking off.

Ace, if I'm not wrong, Wot (member here) organized conjointly with Sedo a .in/.co.in auction one or two years ago. But I don't know how .in registry reacted about this event...

@Ace I also agree, IMO some of the related "organizations" need new leadership and a grand new vision, accountability, marketing finesse, transparency (beyond RTI) and most importantly good governance. There is too much glaring evidence of collusion, sycophancy, lack of policy implementation and accountability. There are also whimsical rules subject to a lot of interpretation and perspectives. In some cases outsourced agencies involved in some of these process leading to process breakdown and utter chaos.

Ace, if I'm not wrong, Wot (member here) organized conjointly with Sedo a .in/.co.in auction one or two years ago. But I don't know how .in registry reacted about this event...

Correct. But, as I'm sure Wot would agree, it was a resounding failure in terms of sales and prices reached for some really premium names. Also Sedo were beyond useless in marketing the auction - I guess, maybe in part, due to the registry's stance on these sorts of things

You are correct there was an auction, dont remember if it was cancelled at the last moment or utter failure?

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom