Domain extensions options

IT.com

Geordy

I have a question for those of you who are more knowledgeable about this business of buying domains. Does it make sense to buy more than one extension or is one all you need? And if you don't buy the other ones, can someone else buy them?

You might be referring to the practice of grabbing up the .net and .org versions when buying a .com. Well, I don't think it's a good idea because the odds someone is going to grab the .net and .org and be a massive competitor are very low. Also, taking away the .net and .org can ruin somebody else's dream of a website.

Finally, an exception might be made if you want to buy those extensions for reselling. For instance, if you had UsedCars.com, then having UsedCars.net and UsedCars.org might make you even more money. However, sadly, that would be taking away someone's dream maybe. :rolleyes:

Early in my career of developing domains, I purchased all extensions to "protect my brand". Since that time I have let the extra extensions drop and have not noticed any down side. I would not buy the other extensions now.

GoDaddy has this protect domain option. And that's something I am always in search of. I don't know how many people find this options useful. But I have managed to avoid a lot of spam due to this. And also there are some good use of the anti spam service of the godaddy. Apart from that even mail service has a lot of good use.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom