Domain extensions options

Geordy

I have a question for those of you who are more knowledgeable about this business of buying domains. Does it make sense to buy more than one extension or is one all you need? And if you don't buy the other ones, can someone else buy them?

Jason76

You might be referring to the practice of grabbing up the .net and .org versions when buying a .com. Well, I don't think it's a good idea because the odds someone is going to grab the .net and .org and be a massive competitor are very low. Also, taking away the .net and .org can ruin somebody else's dream of a website.

Finally, an exception might be made if you want to buy those extensions for reselling. For instance, if you had UsedCars.com, then having UsedCars.net and UsedCars.org might make you even more money. However, sadly, that would be taking away someone's dream maybe. :rolleyes:

JackD

Country flag
Early in my career of developing domains, I purchased all extensions to "protect my brand". Since that time I have let the extra extensions drop and have not noticed any down side. I would not buy the other extensions now.

overcast

GoDaddy has this protect domain option. And that's something I am always in search of. I don't know how many people find this options useful. But I have managed to avoid a lot of spam due to this. And also there are some good use of the anti spam service of the godaddy. Apart from that even mail service has a lot of good use.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
DaaZ.com Liquid Domain Name Auctions @DaaZ.com - .IN, .COM, .NET,.ORG, .UK, .CO, .AI and .IO extensions External Auctions 0
Prashant Sharan .Club registry and other domain name extensions to benefit from “Booking.com” ruling Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Spamhaus list of most abused domain extensions and registrars Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan What are the other domain extensions except .in to bet on in the Indian Market General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
domain investor Mix of Domain Extensions are Selling Non-Indian Domains 1
owl "Avoid Buying New Domain Extensions" says Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Non-Indian Domains 8
Jason76 The .hosting and .host domain extensions Hosting 0
domainking131 Most popular domain extensions for startups in Q1 2016 New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Famous Four Media opens tiered pricing in 4 more domain extensions New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Most popular domain extensions for startups in Q3 2015 Non-Indian Domains 1
Rox (Sale) Bengaluru City exact match domain with 4 extensions For Sale 0
domainking131 Fashion brand buys 100 domain extensions, creates website for each New GTLDs 0
CyberKing Infibeam Launches Domain Registry – .OOO Extensions Available Registrars 2
C .com or .net extensions in to .in domain registration Indian Websites and Start-ups 3
indy Domparison - compare domain pricing for .in and all extensions... General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
mrchris Information on Domain Extensions Non-Indian Domains 0
jedi Domain Nice..different COUNTRY domain names... various extensions...come in and see Non-India Related Domains 0
R domain extensions General Indian Domain Name Discussion 3
ekal FAQ: What extensions are available for Indian domain names General Indian Domain Name Discussion 44
Prashant Sharan How to forward your domain names properly Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver really likes domain tools Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Here is the list of Black Friday domain deals Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Elliot Silver on his domain acquisition experience now a days Resources 0
Prashant Sharan The right way of selling a domain name via a payment plan Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton: Checking out Notion to organize inbound domain offers Resources 0
Prashant Sharan KickStart Commerce Podcast: John D. Saunders talks about qualifying, buying, and developing domain names from a digital marketing perspective Resources 0
Gaurav GoldenCBD.com, OQEL.com & more - Premium Domain Names External Auctions 0
Prashant Sharan There are some China registry .CN domain name scam running. Watch Out!!! Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Tool generates trending domain registration ideas Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Will the Crypto Domain prices follow the BTC price boom? Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Last Week's end user domain sales Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan John Mueller, Google’s Webmaster Trend Analyst, weighs in on expired domain backlinks Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan KickStart Commerce Podcast: Domain investing, developing, and “affiliate arbitraging” domains with Ed Keay-Smith Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Last week's end user domain sales Resources 0
Prashant Sharan DNW Podcast: Adam Strong discusses the state of the domain name aftermarket. Resources 0
DNJournal.com There is a New King of the 2020 Domain Sales Hill With A $900,000 Deal Soaring to the Summit The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Should I wait for a domain name to expire or buy right away ? Resources 0
Prashant Sharan A sneak peak into GoDaddy’s full domain & privacy protection Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Escrow.com Q3 Report : Domain aftermarket sees a rebound Registrars 0
T Mitsu saga - Registry.in loose my domain names Legal Issues and Dispute 2
T Domain outreach service for names over $1k For Sale / Advertising 0
Prashant Sharan Nice Read : Elliot Silver talks about a Key Metric for domain name valuation Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Radix Converge 2020: Rewards Attendees With Expert Insight Into entrepreneurialism, Domain Industry Success Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Escrow.com saw a bounce back in domain name transactions in Q3 2020 Registrars 0
DaaZ.com LDF.in and FBR.in domain names in Auction @ DaaZ.com For Sale 0
Gaurav CreditGrowth.com - Premium Credit Domain Name | No Reserve Auction | EC Pick External Auctions 1
T What is EPP Code? Tips To Improve Your Domain Security Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Domain.com, BigRock and BuyDomains owner plans to go private Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Last week's end user domain name sales Resources 0
Prashant Sharan DNW Podcast: Reza Sardeha on Dan.com building a tech and payments stack for domain sales Resources 0