Domain extensions options

Geordy

I have a question for those of you who are more knowledgeable about this business of buying domains. Does it make sense to buy more than one extension or is one all you need? And if you don't buy the other ones, can someone else buy them?

Jason76

You might be referring to the practice of grabbing up the .net and .org versions when buying a .com. Well, I don't think it's a good idea because the odds someone is going to grab the .net and .org and be a massive competitor are very low. Also, taking away the .net and .org can ruin somebody else's dream of a website.

Finally, an exception might be made if you want to buy those extensions for reselling. For instance, if you had UsedCars.com, then having UsedCars.net and UsedCars.org might make you even more money. However, sadly, that would be taking away someone's dream maybe. :rolleyes:

JackD

Country flag
Early in my career of developing domains, I purchased all extensions to "protect my brand". Since that time I have let the extra extensions drop and have not noticed any down side. I would not buy the other extensions now.

overcast

GoDaddy has this protect domain option. And that's something I am always in search of. I don't know how many people find this options useful. But I have managed to avoid a lot of spam due to this. And also there are some good use of the anti spam service of the godaddy. Apart from that even mail service has a lot of good use.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Digital Pandit Uni becomes first company to mint domain name extensions as NFTs Registrars 0
DaaZ.com Liquid Domain Name Auctions @DaaZ.com - .IN, .COM, .NET,.ORG, .UK, .CO, .AI and .IO extensions External Auctions 0
Digital Pandit .Club registry and other domain name extensions to benefit from “Booking.com” ruling Registrars 0
Digital Pandit Spamhaus list of most abused domain extensions and registrars Registrars 0
Digital Pandit What are the other domain extensions except .in to bet on in the Indian Market General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
domain investor Mix of Domain Extensions are Selling Non-Indian Domains 1
owl "Avoid Buying New Domain Extensions" says Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) Non-Indian Domains 8
Jason76 The .hosting and .host domain extensions Hosting 0
domainking131 Most popular domain extensions for startups in Q1 2016 New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Famous Four Media opens tiered pricing in 4 more domain extensions New GTLDs 0
domainking131 Most popular domain extensions for startups in Q3 2015 Non-Indian Domains 1
Rox (Sale) Bengaluru City exact match domain with 4 extensions For Sale 0
domainking131 Fashion brand buys 100 domain extensions, creates website for each New GTLDs 0
CyberKing Infibeam Launches Domain Registry – .OOO Extensions Available Registrars 2
C .com or .net extensions in to .in domain registration Indian Websites and Start-ups 3
indy Domparison - compare domain pricing for .in and all extensions... General Indian Domain Name Discussion 1
mrchris Information on Domain Extensions Non-Indian Domains 0
jedi Domain Nice..different COUNTRY domain names... various extensions...come in and see Non-India Related Domains 0
R domain extensions General Indian Domain Name Discussion 3
ekal FAQ: What extensions are available for Indian domain names General Indian Domain Name Discussion 44
Digital Pandit Domain stocks follow the markets in 2021 Registrars 0
Digital Pandit Is a domain worth what someone will pay for it ? Resources 0
Digital Pandit Morgan Linton on calculating how much money your domain portfolio will generate this year Resources 0
Digital Pandit Elliot Silver: How do various domain investors differ from each other? Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Domain Agents 2021 Domain Valuation Guide Resources 0
Digital Pandit DNW Podcast: Great domain investing insights by the Greats themselves Resources 0
Digital Pandit ShortDot is thinking of a domain blocking service for brands Registrars 0
Digital Pandit DNW Podcast: Amanda Waltz on how cryptocurrency drives the domain aftermarket Resources 0
Digital Pandit Rick Schwartz : This is the tipping point for outbound domain sales Resources 0
Digital Pandit Factoring in your hold time when evaluating your domain investment returns Resources 0
Digital Pandit Past week's end user domain sales Non-Indian Domains 0
webmaster75 OneStop.eu & other domain names For Sale 0
Digital Pandit Sedo weekly domain name sales led by Balancer.fi Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Donuts domain trend report: April 2021 Non-Indian Domains 0
M Free .in domain marketplace Resources 0
S Geographical Domain name For Sale 0
Digital Pandit 1 year old NFT related domain sells for $25,000 Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Domain Sales Explosion Continues - Seven 6-Figure Sales Totaling Over $2.9 Million Top This Week's Chart Non-Indian Domains 0
DNJournal.com Domain Sales Explosion Continues - Seven 6-Figure Sales Totaling Over $2.9 Million Top New DNJ Chart The Lounge 0
Digital Pandit Sedo weekly domain sales led by Volka.com Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Cryptocurrency and NFTs are supercharging end user domain name sales Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Brandable domain investor success story Resources 0
Digital Pandit A breakdown of April Keyword domain sales Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Sahil Gupta fails to steal the domain Spase .com for a 3rd time! Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Digital Pandit .Me reports €453,500 premium domain sales in 13 months Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit With a $2 Million Angel Leading the Way Things Remain Heavenly in the Domain Aftermarket Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Frank Schilling’s top level domain auction begins today New GTLDs 0
Digital Pandit Sedo weekly domain name sales led by TN-i.com Non-Indian Domains 0
Digital Pandit Domain Investing, Cybersecurity, and Sales Engineering with Jason Thompson Resources 0
Digital Pandit Aveed.com UDRP Panel Acknowledges Domain Auction Purchase Legal Issues and Dispute 0