Do you pay attention to what seasoned Domainers are buying and selling?

domainking131

Forum Leader
Staff member
When I first got started in the Domaining world back in 2007 I was like most new investors. I saw a list of domains that had recently sold, got excited, and started hand-registering domains like crazy. So, yeah – that was the first time I lost a meaningful amount of money in the domain world. It was painful, as Rick Schwartz would have said himself if he saw my portfolio, I had bought a bunch of pigeon shit.

After going to my first domain conference and meeting other Domainers that actually knew what they were doing I learned something that has stuck with me. Pay attention to what the seasoned Domainers are doing, it’s the best way to learn.

Doing anything full time means you’ll have the time to excel more than just about anyone that just does it part time. But you better love it…because that’s your full time job. For me, I’ll be honest, I’ve never loved it that much, I see domains as an investment vehicle that has without a doubt changed my life, but isn’t something I want to devote all day, every day to. My interests are in technology, and building innovative software that changes the way people do things. I helped to do it once at Sonos, and we’re doing it now at Bold Metrics, and it feel amazing.

So back to the title of this post. Do you pay attention to what seasoned Domainers are buying and selling? If not, you should be. Honestly I think I’ve learned the most about investing in domains just to talking to and watching full time Domainers, the people who put in WAY more time than I do. Here are two examples from this week that caught my eye thanks to this blog post by NamePros.

Garry Chernoff purchased UrbanStudio.com for $1,966 via NameJet

Braden Pollock purchased the four-letter domain Spew.com via NameJet. According to NameBio, the price was $4,204.

Let’s look at just these two purchases in a vacuum. First, if you don’t know Garry, he’s sold a lot of monster names (like Drink.com for $500,000) and he’s been doing it for a long time. What’s interesting about UrbanStudio.com is that I think most new Domainers wouldn’t blink an eye at a name like that, and once it got over a few hundred dollars, many people would drop out.

That’s what makes a long-standing veteran so different. I can tell you that Garry sees ~$2,000 as a pretty solid wholesale price for the name, and if he flips it my guess is we’ll see it selling the $35k+ range. It’s safe to say that Garry is planning on making more than a 10x ROI on the purchase. Yet so many people would think, oh well I could probably buy that for a few hundred bucks and flip it for $3,500. You can think that way (and I do a lot of the time) and still make good money, but people like Garry are thinking bigger.

The same is true with Braden and Spew.com at $4,204. Just like Garry is looking at his purchase as a wholesale buy, so is Braden…and given that four character .COMs like Lola.com sold for $550,000 this year, I’d say that’s a pretty good bet.

Source

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton on whether mentioning what domains you’re bidding on and the price you’d pay against TOS or not Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Amidst these tough times, ICANN gives its highest ranking execs huge pay raises Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Lotto Sport Italia will pay $245,000 for RDNH Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Law asking Google to pay for news content can hurt small publishers Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Konstantinos Zournas on your ability to pay for domain name renewals Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Deltaventure GmbH alleges Pay.io is a stolen domain Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Pay Imbalance reversal: GoDaddy girls often get paid more than men Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Buyer of “Voice.com” ordered to pay $24M SEC fine Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Escrow Pay API gets integrated into the IPv4.Global marketplace Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Josh Reason's interesting poll on Twitter about how much domain investors pay for domains Resources 0
Prashant Sharan MMX needs to pay $5.1 million to be done with terrible .london deal Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Famous Four Media ordered to pay $1.5 million back to investors Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Apple Pay's new adress is at .Apple New GTLDs 0
JulienJ The Taxman Cometh: US, Russian Investors Face New Calls To Pay Cryptocurrencies 1
Mallard How much would you pay for traffic? Marketing Your Website 12
C buying bulk .com with godaddy, $2-$3 per domain, pay by paypal Domains Wanted 0
C buying bulk .com domains with godaddy, $2-$3 per domain, pay by paypal Domains Wanted 0
domainking131 Just 1 per cent of population pay taxes; over 5,000 paid more than Rs 1 crore The Lounge 1
P Domain names .in and .co.in for sale fixed price $20 per name pay thru paypal immediate settlement For Sale 0
domainking131 Change the way you pay with Unified Payments Interface The Lounge 0
domainking131 : Trademark Holder Of Rocket Pay Wins RocketPays.com Loses on RocketPay.com Legal Issues and Dispute 0
techno How much would you pay for all these domains ? Domain Appraisals 0
D Websites which pay members for sending and receiving smses For Sale / Advertising 0
domainking131 Endurance CEO takes cash pay cut, with potential big share payday The Lounge 0
D Which Websites pay bloggers/webmasters for guest posts, blogroll links? Webmaster Forum 0
shirishag75 do webhosts pay anything to ISPs/telcos or not ? Webmaster Forum 1
anquest The $100K Coffee.CLUB SALE | Ron Jackson on "Why Bill McClure Agreed to Pay $100,000" New GTLDs 0
N defray.org, defray.co, defray.me (defray is the synonym of pay) Non-Indian Domains 1
P Indian Cloud Servers - Pay by the Hour Webmaster Forum 1
R What would you pay for drop catching ? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 12
D Droplists wanted for .in and .co.in - Willing to pay General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
R this will pay much more in your retired age than you earned For Sale 0
R Need $150 Pay Pal - Domain Deals !! For Sale / Advertising 1
Ceres Pay Asia Launches PayBharat.in Indian Websites and Start-ups 2
Ceres INDRP Respondent Ordered To Pay Costs Legal Issues and Dispute 0
F Do I have to Pay if i submit more articles at ezinearticles.com ? Webmaster Forum 4
S singh.org - how much should I pay ? Domain Appraisals 2
K Do You Pay for Your Music? The Lounge 14
Ceres INDRP: Typosquatter Ordered to Pay Costs Legal Issues and Dispute 2
Ceres How much is too much to pay for a domain? General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
Prashant Sharan ATTENTION !!! All Domainers : Single/plural gTLD combos to be BANNED Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan ATTENTION REQUIRED !!! : PayPal brings in seller protection for domain name transactions Registrars 1
Prashant Sharan ATTENTION BEGINNERS!!! : How to do riskless domain investing ? Resources 1
Prashant Sharan Attention!!! Domainers : The new domain name scam in town Resources 0
Prashant Sharan ATTENTION REQUIRED !!! : Now page experience can become a ranking factor in Google search Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Attention !!! : ICANN warns of “high risk of widespread outages” due to Coronavirus Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Attention required!! : Amazon reduces affiliate payouts by up to 80% Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Attention Required !! : Neustar retains .co registry at unfavourable terms Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Attention!!! :NameCheap not accepting domain application for words associated with Covid-19 pandemic Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Attention required!! : Verisign won’t increase .com prices this year Registrars 0