Cybersquatting

IT.com

tulip

I have heard people call this the profiting from someone's traffic/copyright. Is this legal by any chance? For instance, if you have a domain like nissansales.com, can 'Nissan' claim it from you as a result of the traffic generated?

Nissan........traffic......that was cute.

Yes, they can get you for that. Nissan will and so will the car dealership in Fort Meyers Florida who own that site name.

To be on the safe side, I think it is just better to go with a domain name that is both original and unique. There is no point in trying to get credit from what's not 'yours', whether such a step is legal or not.

I totally agree. That is why most people online are not successful. They don't try to have a unique selling point of their own, but try to copy what others are doing and do the same.

If you are buying to purely to cybersquat, then courts can order you to release it.

There are a few exceptions: if you bought it on a client's behalf and the client didn't pay you then tries to get it in court, the courts tell the client to forget it. If you already owned the domain or are using it for something else, then it's yours. Ask Tesla after what they went through to get tesla.com, and the expensive settlement.

There is nothing original on the internet. Every blog or website is basically just rehashing information that is already there. Every article is some sort of remix of another, but you have to be really smart about how you go about adding enough of yourself to make it unique.

I totally agree with you, Dusart. But in all that repurposing of content, there is still the need to make yours stand out by infusing it with a bit of your unique selling proposition.

Up until now, I didn't know that cybersquatting had different aspects depending on how and from where you are looking at it from. My business mentor once told me that it is best to avoid anything that could lead to long-running court battles.

My business mentor once told me that it is best to avoid anything that could lead to long-running court battles.
That sounds like really good advice for anyone, whether you are in business or not! Court battles are expensive and take time you could be using to earn money.

I totally agree with you, Dusart. But in all that repurposing of content, there is still the need to make yours stand out by infusing it with a bit of your unique selling proposition.

Which is why a lot of people fail out here in Googleland. They don't put their own personal flair into things. There is still a mindset out here that says "Quantity over quality" Even though Google has made it perfectly clear that their valuations of a site are dictated more by quality.

Thanks for the resources, Corey. I suppose learning about trademarks and things like that would save someone from a lot of stress and possibly even from lawsuits in the future.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom