Choosing a top SEO company

marsh

We all know that working towards bringing the search listing to the top page isn't easy, just as getting real organic website traffic can be a hard task.

What criterion should a business apply when looking for a top SEO company? Since getting a good web design is also paramount, is there a chance that there are (good) companies out there that offer both of these?

JackD

Country flag
Two of the things that I would look at first:
1. Do they use a hotmail or outlook email address? Why do they not use their own email extension?
2. Are they at the top of the listings page? If they cannot get their own website at the top, how can they get yours up there?

These two questions have always caused the SEO offers in my inbox to disappear. Guess they couldn't answer them.

As to the second part of your question, there are probably SEO companies who do web design also because web design should be an integral part of their job. Finding them is the trick. If they are really good, they also are going to be relatively expensive.

dibon

I agree with you @JackD especially for those companies that do not use their own extensions. On another note, why would any serious company send emails to prospective clients or is it the norm for them to look for business in this way?

JackD

Country flag
On another note, why would any serious company send emails to prospective clients or is it the norm for them to look for business in this way?
I think that most of the "companies" that do this do so because they are new, they have no budget for advertising and they have no history of success. They search the internet for newly registered domain names, hope the registrant is not knowledgeable in web design/SEO and that they can convince this individuals or companies into spending their money.

Tigger

Look for companies at any position on page one. Not everyone can be at the very top of page one. That us reserved for only one website........obviously. Anywhere on page one is good enough for me.

marsh

I think that most of the "companies" that do this do so because they are new, they have no budget for advertising and they have no history of success. They search the internet for newly registered domain names, hope the registrant is not knowledgeable in web design/SEO and that they can convince this individuals or companies into spending their money.
Well, looks like one of those methods that can easily scare away rather than attract prospective customers. All the same, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there are serious companies that actually started with no advertising budget at all!

JackD

Country flag
I'm sure that some of the best companies did start with little or no advertising budget. But they produced results. If you can produce results then serious businesses with flock to you for help. How many emails promising you first page of Google have actually came from a company that has a track record of producing what they offer? All of the ones I get are from email addresses using hotmail, gmail, yahoo and outlook email accounts. A reputable business which can produce will be using an email from their business email address and will state the name of the business in the email. That's all I'm saying. If the SEO company can get you first page results then they are a great business, they will be proud of their business and their record and they will not mind using a "real" email address and will readily give you their company name up front so you can research what they do.

dibon

All the best companies (definitely) started from somewhere and the time it took to produce results would definitely vary. I think that the bottom line is the results and I agree that a company that uses a 'real' email address has an even better outlook.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Y Combinator founder's two cents to start ups on choosing domain names Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Uniregistry Blog: Choosing a Domain Name Resources 0
J Choosing Best Hosting Services Hosting 0
Prashant Sharan Rick Swartz's 5 Minute Guide to Choosing a Truly GREAT Domain Name General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
Kimla Avoiding Legal Issues When Choosing A Domain Name Legal Issues and Dispute 12
tulip Choosing a parking company Parking 1
IamAnhart Need help with choosing a VPS host Hosting 2
Simone Criteria for choosing niche Development Options 6
marsh Choosing a web host Hosting 21
domainking131 7 Guidelines to Choosing the Perfect Domain Non-Indian Domains 0
S Choosing website niche The Lounge 2
domainking131 When choosing a domain to Maximize SEO Choose your brand name Non-Indian Domains 0
nametrader Sheena Iyengar: The art of choosing The Lounge 0
C Choosing the right domain name General Indian Domain Name Discussion 2
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton : Squadhelp's Top seller sold 13 domains for $439,842 Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan MMX admits revenue screwup and now top two execs are out Registrars 0
DNJournal.com Mike Mann Lights Up This Week's Sales Chart With #1 Sale and 3 More in the Top Ten The Lounge 0
DNJournal.com NINE 6-Figure Sales Fill Top Spots on the New DNJ Chart - Six Come from GoDaddy The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan GoDaddy starts releasing their top domain sales Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Branded Holding Group's Top 8 Holdings Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan James Iles's top five domain investing resource Resources 0
DNJournal.com Braden Pollock Rings Six-Figure Bell with Interlock.com to Top This Week's Sales Chart The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan DN Journal Weekly Report : Sedo bags the top spot Resources 0
DNJournal.com Biggest ccTLD Sale of the Year to Date Gives Sedo Top Spot on This Week's Sales Chart The Lounge 0
DNJournal.com Vehicle.com Keeps Monte Cahn at Top of Domain Sales Chart, Morgan Linton Also Lights Up Leader Board The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Here is the June report for top Verisign trending keywords Resources 0
DNJournal.com Three Sales Totaling Over Half a Million Dollars Take Top Spots on This Week's Domain Sales Chart The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan DNJournal Report: .coms dominate again this week but non .com gTLDs saw one of their top 5 Sales YTD Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Let's look at top domains owned by Mark Cuban in 2020 Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Let's look at the ICANN's top domain registrars report Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Verisign's April's top trending keywords report Registrars 0
DNJournal.com Kate Buckley Books Top Spot on This Week's Sales Chart with a $91,000 One-Word .Com The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Here is the list of top ten dotCom registrars Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Verisign’s top trending keywords March report Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Chinese Domains: The domains of top Chinese ventilators Non-Indian Domains 0
DNJournal.com Pair of $200,000 Sales Share Top Spot on This Week's Domain Sales Chart The Lounge 0
DNJournal.com .Coms Sweep All 20 Positions on This Week's Domain Sales Chart - Top Spot Goes to Sedo The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Chinese Domains: China has 21 of the top 50 global sites when it comes to Alexa Rank Non-Indian Domains 0
DNJournal.com 2020's Two Biggest Domain Sales to Date Top New Chart - Pair Totalled Over $1 Million The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan This week's chart: Non .Coms bag 8 of the top 10 Spots New GTLDs 0
Prashant Sharan Tutorial: Tracking Verisign’s monthly top popular keywords using DomainScope API Resources 0
DNJournal.com Non .Coms Take 8 of the Top 10 Spots on This Week's Chart + $8 Million Sale from 2019 Uncovered! The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Domain preference of top 100 internet companies in China Non-Indian Domains 0
DNJournal.com Six-Figure Sale of BTI.com Bags Top Spot on This Week's Sales Chart - ccTLDs, Non .Com gTLDs Won Too The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Your top level domains can impact site performance Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Last week's top three sales were not .COMs Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan XYZ readies five top level domains this year Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan That's weird !! : Startup changes its domain from .com to .top New GTLDs 0
DNJournal.com Results.com Rings the Six-Figure Bell to Top This Week's Domain Sales Chart The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan Top Level Design reveals .gay prices and pledges 20% of revenue to charity New GTLDs 0