ccLTD Report Updated as of Aug 1st 2014 in Sep Issue by CENTR- .IN looses steam?

IT.com

CyberKing

Domain Investor
Country flag
DOT IN IS NOT EVEN MENTIONED IN THE 10 FAST GROWING LIST - HOWEVER AT 19th Rank in Top ccLTDs down a few notches from the prior quarter , seems Registrations are down 200K from a year or so ago!

From those found in the top 20 list, the table (left) shows some of the highest growth ccTLDs observed in the past quarter. After .tk, China (.cn) experienced the highest growth with 1.8% for this quarter.

Tokelau (.tk) 8.6%

China (.cn) 1.8%

European Union (.eu) 1.5%

Switzerland (.ch) 1.2%

Brazil (.br) 1.2%

https://centr.org/system/files/share/domainwire_stat_report_2014_3.pdf

CENTR Domain Report: There Are Over 282.5 Million Domain Registered As Of August 1

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on 2013 reports it was 1.7+ Million - if your search CENTR in this forum you will find the same with your comments..

However how about this for a shocker - from previous quarter we are down 500K registrations and 4 rank positions i.e. from 15 to 19 (Something is wrong here!) and this is me cursing ^(#$#~!#!@$@#%@#$)

All historic reports can be viewed at -

https://centr.org/domainwire

I just checked and this is perfectly right. The report is showing a fall of 4 positions and 500K registrations.
Either previous numbers were wrong, either these numbers are wrong, either it's time to liquidate portfolios haha

I just sent them the following email:

"Hello,
I'm reading your regular "DomainWire Stat Report" with a lot of interest, but I have a question regarding some ccTLD figures.

In the previous report (Edition 8, June 2014), the number of .IN (India) registered domains was 2.0 millions. And in the last report (Edition 9, September 2014), the number of registered .IN domains is now 1.5 millions.

Such a fall seems really strange. Did you change the way you compute the figures? Or did you take another source for the figures? More generally, do you have an explanation for this huge change?

Thank you very much for your work,
Best regards,"

.....and we are going or (rather hurtling down) in the reverse direction to this stated goal for 2015!

http://www.inforum.in/general-india...domain-names-2015-a.html?highlight=#post48653

PS: I too pray this latest CENTR report is wrong! However possibly not, also See Para on Data Sources:

"All data in this report is sourced from the following: CENTR, ZookNic (Zooknic Internet Geography Project) LACTLD, HosterStats.com: Domain Registration Statistics And Historical DNS Database. CENTR would like to thank the support of other Regional Organisations LACTLD, APTLD and AFTLD for their continued support in the development of statistical reporting for the global ccTLD community. When sourcing CENTR, data is taken from direct communication and responses received from CENTR members (ccTLD registry operators) via CENTR surveys and ongoing data collection."

If Mitsu staff is reading this thread, curious to have their opinion :confused:. If such a fall is real, they have for sure noticed an increase in the drops number.

I hope I don't go down in INForum history as having the delivered the worst news post ever! :(

Time to shoot the messenger :)

This trend is not unusual, I think 2013-2014 wasn't great for Indian economy. Wait for the next report.

OK....ROFD (Rolling on the floor dead)......:eek:

A 25% drop in 90 days is near impossible I say....someone typo-ed on a spreadsheet perhaps, expect a correction statement by CENTR shortly, even todays news mentioning two top Registrar's (not some also ran) point otherwise - could be they are all buying dot com's (however in either case I would never trust statements made to the press at 100% face value) - see quote below:

Domain name registration is another area that has seen increased activity in recent times. BigRock, a company which helps businesses register their websites, however only partly credits the e-commerce sector for this. "While we have seen 10-15% growth in domain name registrations in July-August as compared to January-February this year, it would be difficult to attribute the growth entirely to the Flipkart and Amazon announcements," said Shashank Mehrotra, business head at BigRock.

Rajiv Sodhi, managing director and vice president of the local unit of Internet domain registrar and Web-hosting company GoDaddy, says ,"We only expect this to grow as a new generation of startups, entrepreneurs and e-commerce players build their businesses online."

Read more at:
Big E-commerce deals stir up sector, support services - The Economic Times

If Mitsu staff is reading this thread, curious to have their opinion :confused:. If such a fall is real, they have for sure noticed an increase in the drops number.

Yes ...some top registrars are facing huge drop issue......as they manipulated data previously so they will surely face the heat.......At Mitsu we donot play manipulation game so we donot see any drop on our side.....

Yes ...some top registrars are facing huge drop issue......as they manipulated data previously so they will surely face the heat.......At Mitsu we donot play manipulation game so we donot see any drop on our side.....

Which registrars in particular?

The earlier update with 2+ million regs was most likely erroneous. I follow vny.in blog by the former owner of Netlynx and the domain stats enthusiast. If you check his reports, you can find there is approx 1.5 million .IN's registered and constant growth month by month. The growth is not as fast as many would like but I believe it will speed up at some point of time. So, don't panic and don't rush to liquidate your portfolio ;)

I just checked and this is perfectly right. The report is showing a fall of 4 positions and 500K registrations.
Either previous numbers were wrong, either these numbers are wrong, either it's time to liquidate portfolios haha

I just sent them the following email:

"Hello,
I'm reading your regular "DomainWire Stat Report" with a lot of interest, but I have a question regarding some ccTLD figures.

In the previous report (Edition 8, June 2014), the number of .IN (India) registered domains was 2.0 millions. And in the last report (Edition 9, September 2014), the number of registered .IN domains is now 1.5 millions.

Such a fall seems really strange. Did you change the way you compute the figures? Or did you take another source for the figures? More generally, do you have an explanation for this huge change?

Thank you very much for your work,
Best regards,"

All these figures are estimates and not the real figures......... Just talked in detail with Registry and even got chart of total registration month wise (Till August), growth is there , not found very significant change but some top registrars figure came down due to poor renewals but that too is not alarming.....

All these figures are estimates and not the real figures......... Just talked in detail with Registry and even got chart of total registration month wise (Till August), growth is there , not found very significant change but some top registrars figure came down due to poor renewals but that too is not alarming.....

Thanks for this update Mitsu! Coult it be possible to have the figures/chart, or just the total number given by the registry?

The stats I'm interested in are population timelines and infrastructure. Ignoring team .com / no contest.

Hah...apparently we let about 450 .IN names drop last quarter in our portfolio....to void the Rs 200 Renewal Charge...must have had an impact on this report!

Scrambling to re-register them by tomorrow at a lower Rs.99 per domain rate!

Both GoDaddy and BigRock are actively promoting "DOT COMS" - No Wonder .IN's registrations are going "down" -

Over the last couple of months GoDaddy has been advertising the "website builder" at a flat rate per month including a free Dot Com domain and today I saw a banner ad in my inbox on the right column for a Verisign advt (in partnership with BigRock) which states this on the landing page - note point #2 below:

WHY .COM/.NET ,POWERED BY VERISIGN MAKES SENSE

• 90% of all top brands are on .com/.net. Where would you take your brand?
  • More than 75% of top 500 websites in India are on .com/.net.
  • .com/.net stands for trust & security. This is true in India and globally too
  • FULL URL BELOW
http://verisigndomains.com/BigRock/..._campaign=IA&gclid=CJ-68szChcECFQkpjgodZJIAwA

1. What is NIXI and .IN Registry doing about promoting .INs except for a few TVC which barely ran last year?

2. How about a co-sponsored move with the top 3 Registrars and Perhaps Google again?

3. What happened to the free domain offer promo (India Get Online)
http://www.indiagetonline.in/ - Which is still on to promote .INs but not as well advertised to MSMEs or SMBs?

4. How is the
Digital India
initiative (which incudes FTTP project worth Billions) going to be leveraged?

Its time for ACTION by us stakeholders....and perhaps a change in leadership @ NIXI is called for.... Lets launch a Cohesive Campaign (apart from leveraging RTI to know where the fee spend is) and join hands for a positive change!

Excellent post Supersoftware.

Godaddy is hyping up .com so much even though there arent many good .coms to hand reg and aftermarket prices are very high for people from emerging markets. but no worries, the market is slowly adjusting and godaddy cant force its hand too much.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom