Carrot.com saved from expiry by Industry veterans

IT.com

JulienJ

If you follow expiry auctions, you likely noticed that Carrot.com was coming up for auction via GoDaddy Auctions. Carrot.com is a fantastic domain name, and the auction price in the mid $60,000 range reflected how desirable the domain name is. The domain name was renewed at the last possible moment, so the auction was halted.

Expired domain names get renewed all the time, so having an auction taken down isn’t an uncommon occurrence. In the case of Carrot.com, it took quite a bit of effort from two domain industry veterans to ensure the domain name would not be lost by its owner.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that Name Ninja’s Bill Sweetman had posted an update on Facebook asking his network if they knew a Canadian artist or his family (out of respect for the artist’s family, I refrained from publishing his name). I realized why he was searching for the man, and I reached out to see if he had made any progress. Bill responded and told me he had been working behind the scenes with DotWeekly’s Jamie Zoch and some other people who Bill did not mention by name.

Yesterday afternoon, a friend messaged me to ask if I knew why the Carrot.com auction was taken down. I reached back out to Bill and Jamie, and they both confirmed that the domain name was renewed. How the domain name was renewed is quite an interesting story.

Jamie had been following the Carrot.com domain name since he noticed it move out of Escrow.com’s escrow account in April of 2017. He was surprised to see it expire nearly a year later, so he attempted to contact the registrant via email to make sure they were aware that the domain name had expired. Jamie didn’t receive a response, so he searched Facebook using the registrant’s email address and he found the registrant’s Facebook page. Sadly, some of the Facebook updates and comments made Jamie understand the registrant had been terminally ill and passed away late last year.

Source

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuvandomain
Top Bottom