Canadian Tire acquire Triangle.com

JulienJ

In early April, I noticed that the Triangle.com domain name had changed hands. I had made a couple of offers to buy the domain name, and when I went to do a follow-up, I saw that the domain name was no longer registered to the company that owned it for many years.

The Whois record for Triangle.com shows the Canadian Tire Corporation is now the registrant of the domain name. The McClatchy Company, a publicly traded media company had been the registrant and was using the domain name for a North Carolina news publication. When I learned the domain name had changed hands in early April, I reached out to a few people at Canadian Tire, and they said they could not comment on the acquisition.

Last week, Simeon Tuoyo mentioned on Twitter that the domain name had been acquired. I had a look at Triangle.com, and I see that the domain name is now being used for a program called Triangle Rewards. According to the website, “Triangle Rewards will be the new name of Canadian Tire’s My Canadian Tire Money program.”

In light of the Triangle Rewards website launch, I reached back out to the Canadian Tire Corporation to see if they could offer a comment. Unfortunately, I was told they “do not have any further details to share.”

Triangle.com is an exceptional domain name. I wouldn’t even speculate on the price to acquire Triangle.com, but I am sure it was a lot of money. Perhaps McClatchy will report the sale in a subsequent SEC filing, but my guess is the sale price won’t be reported or it won’t be possible to identify this particular domain name.

Source

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DNJournal.com 2019 Domain Sales Season Ends with Canadian ccTLD Beating All Comers to Win Year's Last Chart Race The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan The Canadian International Internet Dispute Resolution Centre enters the world of UDRP. Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Edmonton Police gets hold of three Canadian domain due to a fake job scam Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Canadian company involved in reverse domain name hijacking over the domain name Mamar.com. Legal Issues and Dispute 0
D Why does Indian government not treat the canadian prime minister well? The Lounge 1
DNJournal.com .CA Leads ccTLD Assault on This Week's Sales Chart - Canadian Domains Take Top Two Spots The Lounge 1
DNJournal.com 2014 Domain Sales Season Gets Underway With a Big Canadian ccTLD Sale Leading the Way The Lounge 0
S I need Photography / Art / Canadian Links For Sale / Advertising 0
S T6W.COM Canadian Postal Code ON BIDO.COM External Auctions 0
Ceres eBay Canada to Disclose Data to Canadian Taxman The Lounge 0
Prashant Sharan A German telecom company, tire distributor among others bought end user domains worth £30,000 Non-Indian Domains 0
anquest Tire.IN Sells@$4.95K, Takes RANK #10 on the 'Country Code Top 20 Sales Chart' | Ambience.IN $2K General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
anquest Tire.IN Sells@$4.95K, Ambience.IN $2K, AuPair.WORLD EUR 5K (appx $5.6K), PNEUS.ONLINE EUR 2K/~$2.2K General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
Prashant Sharan CentralNic to acquire Team Internet AG Business and Economy 0
Prashant Sharan what made Extend acquire Extend.com Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ Amazon to acquire Ring Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ Did Amazon acquire Prime.com? Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 Tucows’ to Acquire Melbourne IT’s International Wholesale Domain Reseller Channel Non-Indian Domains 0
domainking131 People are making a living by helping companies acquire their favorite domain name The Lounge 1
skyshipper .in / .co.in huge opportunity to acquire good names For Sale 0