.CA vs .IN

IT.com
How time flies - I remember that thread from years ago! It's particularly interesting to me as I live in Canada.

From personal experience I think .ca is still stronger than .in, but .in has closed the gap substantially since 2008, the date of that thread.

.ca has always been heartening to me as even as late as 2000, people in Canada primarily used .com domains, particularly given the proximity to the US. Now, it seems to me that it's about a 50/50 .ca / .com split in Canada. So, gradually, the country has adopted its local country code - I think India is going through the same process.

I was recently checking that tool and found that .in already has beaten most established European extensions including .pl, .nl or .co.uk. Only .de and .fr are still standing the pressure but it seems not long. Moreover the .in extension just reached the .org level as we are discussing it. It's growing really fast, at least in terms of Internet searches. However I agree with Jeff that .in still has some way to go to challenge the western extensions commercially like .ca or nl but it is going there. :)

I was recently checking that tool and found that .in already has beaten most established European extensions including .pl, .nl or .co.uk. Only .de and .fr are still standing the pressure but it seems not long. Moreover the .in extension just reached the .org level as we are discussing it. It's growing really fast, at least in terms of Internet searches. However I agree with Jeff that .in still has some way to go to challenge the western extensions commercially like .ca or nl but it is going there. :)

Can you provide link to that tool.

I compared using this tool for this month. Looks like .in already beated many extensions including .org
.in beated .org by one point .in/.org : 37/36
Need to beat .de and .fr
.in/.de/.fr : 16/20/22

Also I see others have dropping web search interest while .in have increasing web search interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also I see others have dropping web search interest while .in have increasing web search interest.

The search counts are not dropping in these countries. They are also growing but at much slower rate. What is dropping is the percentage share of these countries in the global search count.

Just expanding on your post..
Google Trends

.net is dropping dramatically in the same time frame. Its not a surprise that .com is huge in India, considering most of the useful websites are mostly in .com. The migration is happening and as Indian market online grows substantially, the gap between .com and .in should narrow.

In fact, I am actually surprised that .in even is that high compared to .com, thats actually not too bad.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom