Breeding Bad Domain Names

IT.com

Ceres

Below is a link to a great post by John Andrews where he evaluates a number of bad domain names owned by young companies. Although not listed, I am sure there are similar domains out there owned by Indian companies.

My favourite from the list is:

Tweegee- A hub for tweens, Tweegee offers the youth market a suite of online tools for social interaction and organization

Tweegee… I find that to be a very odd name choice. “twee” is okay, because “tween” is a reference to 11 and 12 year olds who live between childhood and teendom (don’t bother checking - Warner Bros owns teendom.com, and one of you domainers owns tweendom.com). But “weegee” is not a vocabulary word for teens or the more likely tweenie participant. Wedgie certainly is… at least for the boys, but I can’t see a clever way to work that in without things getting, well, ugly.

The rest of the article can be found here:

johnon.com/608/breeding-domains.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the article man. I really found it interesting. The fact that a web development site would be named "yammer" and there are sites called "byburt" provides us with good examples of what NOT to do!

Thanks for the article man. I really found it interesting. The fact that a web development site would be named "yammer" and there are sites called "byburt" provides us with good examples of what NOT to do!

Yes, thanks for sharing. There exists opportunity for widespread education even amongst companies that have already found their way into cyberspace.

Jigyasa, I'm pretty sure Ceres is not a man :)

So if you are in this situation, with a bad domain name. How can you try to correct the issue, there has got to be a way to turn it around and make something good out of it.

One possibility is to invest in a decent domain name, then redirect the "bad domain" to your new one. That way you don't lose any traffic from your old site.

At the same time, you can market yourself a bit more under your new domain name.

Anyone else have any ideas?

The best way would be to delete it before you face any consequences..one more reason being that there will hardly be any money that you will making for keeping that domain..

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom