Brandable .com domains

IT.com

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Does anyone have experience with brandable .com domains? I've always been a keyword man myself, but the .com market for brandables seems to be heating up.

I saw a good explanation here:
BrandBucket Experience - Page 7 - NamePros.com
about which brandable .com's sell well:

One thing we've noticed on types of names that I should point out, however, is that names with a dictionary word root, or two-word combination names, seem to sell a little better than completely made up words. We have fewer of these because our decision criteria makes it harder to find a good one, but it seems customers are drawn to them more often because they connect emotionally to the word(s) in the name.

Examples:
Root word name: Cloudico
Two-word, same first letter/sound: BrandBucket
Two-word, same vowel sound: DropBox
Two-word, same vowel sound (stretching it): BrownSparrow
Two-word, same last sound: PortSuite
Two-word, semi-generic but industry relevant: HyperPixel
Two-word, common phrase: YeahBoy

What are your experiences with brandable .com's?

I used to invest in brandable .com's rather than keywords , now slowly letting go... the holding period is sometimes too long , although certain sales in the higher range have helped recover the renewal costs of about half my portfolio (now slightly unmanageable) .
On another occasion , i gifted a brandable .com ( that i owned for a long time) to a certain famous entity with operations in 4-5 countries . Putting across the concept of acquisition of a name to a non-domainer is difficult.
The problem that i face is that it's difficult to reach out to end-users in US/other countries as establishing trust is difficult . That's why i now acquire mostly .in's . Rest whatever brandable .com's i feel great about , am renewing on a regular basis ( Just a few sales , takes care of the portfolio renewal costs ) , rest i drop , sometimes i exchange domains via pm with other domainers .

The problem with brandables is that they need someone who really likes them for a nice sale to happen. You can't even predict their sale prices using the usual methods (keyword strength, comparable sales, etc.).

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom