Big new gtld news

IT.com

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Uniregistry is greatly increasing the prices of their new gtls:

http://domainincite.com/21603-schilling-big-price-increases-needed-to-keep-new-gtlds-alive

.juegos - from about $10 retail to about $300
.hosting - from about $20 retail to about $300

Some quotes:

At a higher price point, the marketing can scale, but we just can’t do it on base registrations of ten bucks or twenty bucks

Within ten years, will it be bigger? Absolutely. It’ll be quintuple what it is today,” he said. “But we need to get to 10 years, and to keep the lights on between here and there we need higher prices, without question

I was standing next to Frank Schilling at a cocktail party years ago in Las Vegas before he released any of his new gtlds and he was telling us about the importance of low prices, how he was giong to run domainer friendly gtlds, and that we should "back up the truck" and load it with his new gtlds. If I had done that, I'd be broke now.. goes to show how even the top people can get it wrong.

It is BS!

"There will be a bust." another Schilling quote. Well... that is happening.

He would be going broke if not for selling premium .com, .net, and .org domains through Name Administration. In addition to being his own domain registrar/sales platform.

It costs $200k to run a new domain extension per year. Ridiculous a veteran can't cover those costs.

Stick with .com, .org, and ccTLDs.

I was standing next to Frank Schilling at a cocktail party years ago in Las Vegas before he released any of his new gtlds and he was telling us about the importance of low prices, how he was giong to run domainer friendly gtlds, and that we should "back up the truck" and load it with his new gtlds. If I had done that, I'd be broke now.. goes to show how even the top people can get it wrong.

Wholesale pricing for registrars and how much prices are going up.

TLD / Current Price / Future Price

AUDIO $9.33 $100.00
BLACKFRIDAY $26.67 $100.00
CHRISTMAS $20.00 $50.00
CLICK $4.67 $7.00
DIET $13.33 $100.00
FLOWERS $17.67 $100.00
GUITARS $20.00 $100.00
HELP $13.33 $20.00
HIPHOP $13.33 $100.00
HOSTING $20.00 $300.00
JUEGOS $9.33 $300.00
LINK $6.67 $7.00
PICS $13.33 $20.00
PROPERTY $20.00 $100.00
SEXY $13.33 $40.00
TATTOO $20.00 $30.00

Just like any other private business starting up, all these new TLDs will have a 50 per cent chance of going out of business in two or three years,” Holland says. “That’s going to be somewhat disquieting to people.

Byron Holland, CEO of CIRA.

So much for me being excited over the news of new gTLDs. GoDaddy made a wise move by opting out of this situation. I'm still trying to understand why the prices skyrocketed that much, especially for new ones who had just introduced themselves. It's as if they didn't see that the move basically destroyed any development plan anyone had in mind for their domains.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
anirudhkarl96
Top Bottom