Auto Renewal Grace Period - mandatory for registrars or not ?

IT.com
I have a query...

Is it mandatory for .IN registrars to offer "auto renewal grace period" to the registrants ?
If yes, then what are the minimum number of days ?

The same information for GTLDs is clearly mentioned here Life Cycle of a Typical gTLD Domain Name | ICANN wherein it is mentioned "Auto Renew Grace Period" can be between 0-45 days. So, this means a registrar can skip offering "Auto Renew Grace Period" to its customers.

But I am unable to find .IN Registry's policy on the same matter???

Grace periods: certain grace periods exist to allow for the cancellation of transactions by registrars within certain time periods. Please contact your registrar for details.

https://registry.in/Policies
(up to 45 Days AGP)

Makes it sound like it is up to your REGISTRAR ..

I have a query...

Is it mandatory for .IN registrars to offer "auto renewal grace period" to the registrants ?
If yes, then what are the minimum number of days ?

The same information for GTLDs is clearly mentioned here Life Cycle of a Typical gTLD Domain Name | ICANN wherein it is mentioned "Auto Renew Grace Period" can be between 0-45 days. So, this means a registrar can skip offering "Auto Renew Grace Period" to its customers.

But I am unable to find .IN Registry's policy on the same matter???

Your query is for "auto renewal grace period" and .In registry follow same policy of 0-45 Days, It is up to the registrar to give this to their customer or not ?

As soon as your domain name get expired and it enters into Auto Renewal Grace Period, the registrar account is charged by registry for renewal and if registrar follows say 15 days period and if within these 15 days period registrant does not renew the domain name then registrar sends delete command to registry and registry credit back auto renewal money to registrar , and if registrant renew the domain name during the 15 days period then the registrar does not send this command to registry and for 45 days in whois record you will see Auto Renew Grace period but same will disappear after 45 days,

It was clarify by the registry few years back on one specific case that as per the rules as soon as domain name expires the agreement between registrant and registrar also expires .... and legally speaking registrant loose his/her right over the domain name because registrar's account is deducted by registry for renewal. That is why you see lot of registrar starts auction process after domain name expiry in .com cases and sometimes they also changes whois record to their own company contact so the general public cannot contact registrant or alert them to renew.

This is not mandatory on registrar to give this grace period to registrant.

Last edited by a moderator:

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom