Auction for indian domains only!

IT.com
Hi,
I'd like to create an auction system for indian domains only, what do you say? It might work?
I've only two problems:
- writing the terms and conditions
- advertising

OTHER INFO
- all for free
- symple design
- classic system auction (bid,buy now,time left ecc. see ebay)
- probabily auction domain INAUCTION.IN

Someone can give me any advice/opinion?

Site might be active in 1 month!

Thanks

My advice:

-research the terms and conditions very carefully

-let the wom ('word-of-mouth') carry you initially as this still is a small niche

I think it is an excellent idea begging for you to create it

I would be your first customer.

Good Luck

What are your goals?

An auction only for dot-IN domains ignores recent market trends and the needs of reputed buyers, especially top corporates.

A single domain is like a little guy standing out on the street. Not much he can do.

Put a bunch of guys together and you can move heavy equipment, build buildings and sometimes even change the world.

To add value to a single domain, the current trend is to bundle that domain up with variations, both with the same extension and other popular extensions. This allows Indian corporates better access to the advantages that global branding can provide.

If I?m going to pay good money for a dot-IN domain, even a generic, then I will want to be owning the dot-Com and probably the dot-Net and dot-Org too. Otherwise I am open to domain suits for infringement.

My customers may not always remember the proper extension. I don?t want to be giving business away to some other chap who happens to own a domain with an extension other than dot-IN.

So much marketing and PR money has been spent to reinforce the dot-Com extension in the minds of consumers, that it is not reasonable to expect that imprinting is going to go away tomorrow.

The smart corporates will use dot-IN for websites to serve customers in India and other extensions to serve customers elsewhere.

As a business owner, you want to open many doors for potential customers to find you in a crowded market. A comprehensive branding and domain-acquisition strategy can help accomplish that goal.

Re: What are your goals?

Interesting post with some thought provoking ideas.

However, I have to disagree with:
An auction only for dot-IN domains ignores recent market trends and the needs of reputed buyers, especially top corporates.

Most auctions are just domainer to domainer venues - end users don't really spend their time at them. It's always nice to get end users to a particular auction, but the reality is that end users are the exception rather than the rule at domain auctions.

My advice:

-research the terms and conditions very carefully

-let the wom ('word-of-mouth') carry you initially as this still is a small niche

I think it is an excellent idea begging for you to create it

I would be your first customer.

Good Luck

Hei Lobe

thanks for advice, very useful...:p

Fabio

Re: What are your goals?

To add value to a single domain, the current trend is to bundle that domain up with variations, both with the same extension and other popular extensions. This allows Indian corporates better access to the advantages that global branding can provide.

If I?m going to pay good money for a dot-IN domain, even a generic, then I will want to be owning the dot-Com and probably the dot-Net and dot-Org too. Otherwise I am open to domain suits for infringement.

My customers may not always remember the proper extension. I don?t want to be giving business away to some other chap who happens to own a domain with an extension other than dot-IN.

i agree in terms of bundling, but disagree with bundling .com, .net and .org for the indian market, i think .in and .co.in will suffice.

personally, I am registering names with the hope of targetting start ups and not large corporates, take for example themobilestore.in it seems like a pretty reputable brand in india yet themobilestore.com are also a reputalbe brand in the uk, yet are different companies....they are not worried about bluring the lines between companies as they will only have one market in mind, their domestic market, international expansion for these companies is far away and not likely due to existing competitors abroad

if i was a new start up targetting the indian market then i would only be concerned with .in and .co.in as i already know that getting a high impact .com will be very hard e.g. a start up selling cosmetics online might see my domain bundle of skinstore.in and skinstore.co.in and bid $5000 because it is an easy term to remember and can help them establish a memorable brand in the indian market

so in short, .in and .co.in bundles can make good money if you target start ups who reaslitically will only ever be SMEs not global brands

on the topic of startups, it amazing to see how little development there is in the indian market in terms of etailers, there are so many opportunities out there, i cannot wait for the boom, it must happen, its a case of waiting

hope this makes sense

p.s. if you do a quick alexa search on most popular indian websites, you will see a few .in's creeping in, if these can make the top 50 most popular sites in india, i do not think we should be worrying too much about completing the set with .coms, in's is growing!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with redstar, for most companies except the largest ones, .in and .co.in are preferable to any gTLD.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom