Amazon launches Square competitor, snaps up 100 domain names

IT.com

cyberlawyer

Company registered 100 related domain names ahead of latest product launch.

Amazon.com launched Amazon Local Register, a mobile credit card merchant solution similar to Square. Yesterday the company registered close to 100 new domain names for the new service, by my count.

Of the companies I track, Amazon does the most defensive domain name registrations when it releases new products. The company has over 35,000 registered domain names.

These domains will give you an idea of how broad Amazon’s defensive domain registrations are for Amazon Local Register:

amazon-payment-device.com
amazonlocalregisterpaymentsapps.com
amazonpayments-local-registers.com
localpaymentsbyamazon.com
localregister-amazonpay.com
securecardreaderbyamazon.com

Despite Amazon’s broad defensive domain name registration practices, it always ends up having to go after individuals that find something it hasn’t registered. With hundreds of top level domain names, it’s impossible to protect everything in every top level domain name. It makes me question if this activity is the wrong approach.

Amazon is also registering some of its brands across every new TLD that comes out, such as fire.plumbing. I can’t imagine how that domain name helps the company.

The company also acquired LocalRegister.com. The last public whois record for the domain name prior to Amazon shows domainer Chad Folkening, so he might have sold the domain name to the company.

Despite owning LocalRegister.com, the domain name doesn’t forward to the official site for the product.

- See more at: Amazon launches Square competitor, snaps up 100 domain names | Domain Name Wire | Domain Name News & Views

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom