All Indian villages to have high-speed broadband in 3 years

IT.com

Dman

This is big-big and obviously, highly relevant to domain names..

Hi-speed broadband for all Indian villages soon: Rediff.com Business

From a teledensity (number of phones in use for every 100 individuals) of just 1.4 per cent in 1995, India today has reached a teledensity of over 50 per cent, with big cities like Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Bangalore, etc going up to 130-140 per cent, same as in Europe and North America...

..."But in rural India the teledensity is still 18 to 20 per cent," Pilot said. "Within the next three years, we will connect every village in India with high-speed broadband access."
I believe there will still be a stiff maturation curve once internet saturation levels in India are high, as far as websites, domain names, etc- things will not change overnight and we in the West who speculate on Indian names should be particularly mindful of our return expectations in relation to the relative income levels of many of these areas- but I do believe this is a fantastic sign and the 'big step' that's needed to open up the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is big-big and obviously, highly relevant to domain names..

Hi-speed broadband for all Indian villages soon: Rediff.com Business

I believe there will still be a stiff maturation curve once internet saturation levels in India are high, as far as websites, domain names, etc- things will not change overnight and we in the West who speculate on Indian names should be particularly mindful of our return expectations in relation to the relative income levels of many of these areas- but I do believe this is a fantastic sign and the 'big step' that's needed to open up the game.

Wishful thinking, first let them provide basic amenities then talk about broadband.

Perhaps, but I can absolutely envision the managers operating with a single-minded focus to deliver broadband to all regions, even if those regions might be lacking in other areas. In regards to technology, India seems to be very, very determined.

Wishful thinking, first let them provide basic amenities then talk about broadband.

Although it is right that despite lots of advancements in technology, India still has to do a lot in providing basic infrastructure on a mass level.

But, it is also true that the scene is changing drastically and at a very fast pace you cannot imagine from west.

The fact is that it is a huge country full of diversity and dissimilarities. Extreme poverty lives side-by-side with the affluence here. India houses some of the richest people in the world as well as it is one of the poorest countries.

Same is the case with Internet penetration. If India does not have the basic infrastructure for many of its citizens, it does not mean that there cannot be any development in the broadband field. Because of its shear size and magnitude, India can afford to have both the condition existing at the same time.

Coming from a company working on Broadband in India, I have witnessed the huge changes that have taken place in last 3-5 years, and I am also pretty confident that even if such plans may not be able to get fully implemented, but they will surely make huge difference to the online world.

DomainWallah- good comments!.

IMO, there is 1 clear fact that i have no doubt about- thousands and thousands of Indians will be going online in the next few years and this growth won't stop probably for at least 2 decades.Demand for internet related products in INdia will remain strong too, so our prospects are still looking good so far..

The fact is that it is a huge country full of diversity and dissimilarities. Extreme poverty lives side-by-side with the affluence here. India houses some of the richest people in the world as well as it is one of the poorest countries.

From the article, they are talking about providing broadband to villages. Villages are more homogeneous compared to cities where you find building and slums co-existing side-by-side.

The comments are delivered by Sachin Pilot, who IMHO is out of touch with ground realities. Moreover he delivered these comments in Canada. I am from a village who was fortunate enough to have studied in a city and work in US. Back in my village, they have optical fibre for the last 5-6 years, but no one uses it.

Why? First of they need a PC/ Laptop. Less then 1% of the village population can afford that. Those who can afford it, use wireless :)

BTW we have water shortage in my village and people there are more interested that they get water so that their crops can grow and they can have money to feed their children and also give them a better education. These policies are akin to putting the horse before the cart.

BTW read the comments on that article.

Last edited by a moderator:

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahul mehta
Top Bottom