Alexa's New Feature: Search Terms

IT.com

Ceres

Alexa now has a new feature that allows you to view search terms that have been driving traffic to a site over the last month.

This feature is particularly useful if you are planning to buy search terms, or if you are trying to optimize your site for search engines. Now, you can see a list of terms for virtually any site, in sorted order, that are driving traffic. Rather than hunting, pecking and guessing, trying, failing, trying again... you can see what terms actually work for your competitors.

You can find more information on the Alexa blog.

Interesting feature.

I looked at a lot of sites; for some the data seems pretty accurate whereas for others it is way off.

I wonder where they're going with this. There are already many services that provide this sort of thing for a fee. Perhaps Alexa will introduce this sort of service as well.

I just noticed that Alexa has introduced another three new features:

Clickstream - find out which sites visitors were on before and after any site.

Search Traffic (found under Traffic Stats tab) - find out how much traffic a site gets from search engines.

Demographics - view a demographic breakdown. Includes gender, age, browsing location etc.

Jeff commented that some of Alexa's stats were accurate, while some were inaccurate. Also, I've read in the past that Alexa can be manipulated by webmasters (I'm not sure how this is done).

I still think Alexa can be a useful tool when you want to look up some quick stats about a particular website. For a full and more accurate picture, you'd probably have to use Alexa in conjunction with some other tools. Who uses Alexa?

Ceres,

Thanks for the very useful info share, as always.

I use Alexa to get a country-wise list of top websites to guage the domains or websites that are doing well. Also, if I am interested in buying a website I refer to the traffic stats to get a general sense if the webmaster is quoting me inaccuracies. Though Alexa might be inaccurate, at least its known we use it.

Clickstream is very interesting to me. I always wanted to know the sites people visit one after other. However, I cannot find it on Alexa. Any suggestions where the links to these services are?

Cheers.

Clickstream is very interesting to me. I always wanted to know the sites people visit one after other. However, I cannot find it on Alexa. Any suggestions where the links to these services are?

Once you enter the url you want to check (ie next to "Find sites about"), you'll see a number of tabs you can explore:

? Traffic Stats (search traffic is under this tab)
? Contact Info
? Related Links
? Keywords
? Clickstream
? Demographics

Yes i have checked this feature it is great. But the problem with Alexa is that it update after a long period...

Last edited by a moderator:
its very difficult to understand what upstream and downstream is.

Can someone throw some light on it

Hi domainerin,

Regarding Alexa's list of upstream sites:
It shows which websites your visitors are coming from just before they arrive on your site.

Regarding Alexa's list of downstream sites:
It shows which websites your visitors go to when they leave your site.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexa has recently changed the design of its site, and got very sleeky with amazing new options and graph styles, and today it has released a new feature-Search Terms. This feature helps you look up the top searched keywords for that particular site whose info you are checking.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom