A cool domaining story – $1.99 to $20,000

JulienJ

There was a story that I did not see posted about that was a really cool domaining story. While it’s cool to read about the exploits of Mike Mann and Rick Schwartz, most small to mid size domain investors tend to think that the big sale will never happen to them.

The name was MessengerKids.com and about a year later a little company by the name of Facebook came a calling.

The opening offer $20,000, accepted immediately. Deal done!

The opening post at Namepros:

The name was hand registered at netfirms.com, at price of $1.99 back in 2016 Fall. Sold in 2017 Oct. Buyer came in with offer $20,000 USD. Accepted. Escrow traded.

Now some in the post at Namepros questioned why he did not counter, I know the owner of this publication Mr.Berkens has always told me that you need to counter. Even if the opening offer knocks your socks off. For many they believe the potential buyer will immediately have remorse, that their offer was too large and that they could have done better. To quote Game of Thrones creator, George R.R. Martin, “A fair bargain leaves both sides unhappy.”
Facebook had no remorse and the deal quickly closed.

Facebook’s Messenger Kids app is fairly limited in scope, allowing for text and video chat, as well as sending photos. … In 2011, for example, an operator of virtual worlds that had been acquired by the Walt Disney Company agreed to pay $3 million to settle Federal Trade Commission charges that it …

I thought the seller was very gracious and low keyed, nice to see someone hit a grand slam without even pressing for one.

Here the seller noted the whole deal in it’s entirety:
buyer called in June inquired the name available for sale. while, I have 3000+ names, I couldnt tell her if the name still with me or not.

Asked her to email back with offer.

No emails. Thought the sales would not happen. Didnt really care about it

Email offer came in September. Accepted. Deal done in October.

Source

Jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Country flag
Great story! Although likely not a domain I would have registered myself.

wot

Country flag
Great story! Although likely not a domain I would have registered myself.
So often the case, after all the years in domaining I still don't have a clue which names may sell and often amazed at those that do and their prices.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Prashant Sharan Namecheap brings forth a cool new feature to domain search Registrars 0
JulienJ NameJet Scores a COOL $3K Emoji Domain Auction Close The Lounge 3
owl ".io and .me are hot and cool" Vitalik Buterin Non-Indian Domains 11
domainking131 Company says new TLD is “cool”, but comes with drawbacks New GTLDs 1
I Cool 3d printing domain Domain Appraisals 3
M .EE fantastic domains, 2-letter and other cool Non-India Related Domains 2
D cool domains for sale For Sale 0
N .co.in cool domain For Sale 0
N .org.in best cool name for sale For Sale 5
rohitlovy chek out COOL domain names @ low prices Non-Indian Domains 3
Ceres A 'cool' .IN domain General Indian Domain Name Discussion 0
F 1 Premium & Two Cool Domain Names Non-India Related Domains 0
Jeff Cool IDN Tools Indian IDNs 8
I keyword .in domains like cool design, swiss tourism For Sale 0
piazzaghiaia B0OM.COM - Very cool domain - Non-India Related Domains 1
Prashant Sharan Podcast Alert !!! : KickStart Commerce's Alvin Brown talks to QualityNames's Hiren Patel about his amazing domaining journey Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Podcast Alert !!! : Dynadot's Todd Han about new sales system and domaining market in COVID times Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Sherpa Founders Series: Richard Lau on the future of domaining industry Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton's takes a deep dive into domaining in an interview with GGRG's Giuseppe Graziano Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Ron Johnson analyses the effect of Covid_19 on domaining business Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Domaining Tip: Kassey Lee on using End user research to buy domains Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Some more measures that domaining industry has taken to combat Coronavirus Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Podcast Alert !! : Shane Cultra on coronavirus's impact on domaining Resources 0
Prashant Sharan The best domaining stories from 2019 Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Price control removal will have a long term impact on the domaining Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton: A a deep dive into South Korean domaining market Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Revisiting November 2009 domaining scandal Legal Issues and Dispute 0
Prashant Sharan Konstantinos Zournas: I don’t share the domaining industry’s excitement about the Voice.com sale Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Rick Schwartz's domaining quiz:Some very difficult question answered Non-Indian Domains 0
Prashant Sharan Domaining Tips: setting deal deadlines Resources 0
Prashant Sharan Guta.com, the Sino-American bridge for domaining communities, publishes its sales report Registrars 0
Prashant Sharan Morgan Linton: Week ended April 15th, 2019 domaining highlights Resources 0
Prashant Sharan The power of domaining: Mike Mann spent $20 bucks and makes almost forty grands Resources 0
Prashant Sharan From the Domain King's Blog: The .HorseSh*t Era of Domaining is over! Resources 0
Prashant Sharan A must read: Rick Swartz's simple domaining principle Resources 0
Prashant Sharan For Beginners: The best learning source for domaining as per you Non-Indian Domains 1
Prashant Sharan A one line advice to domaining beginners Non-Indian Domains 0
JulienJ INJURYATTORNEYFLORIDA.COM – GEO DOMAINING LIVES ON Non-Indian Domains 0
Jeff Godaddy & domaining tax dispute Legal Issues and Dispute 0
JulienJ WOMEN IN DOMAINING: NATASA DJUKANOVIC, CMO OF DOMAIN.ME Resources 0
JulienJ Domaining Europe becomes NamesCon Europe The Lounge 0
JulienJ WOMEN IN DOMAINING: KATE BUCKLEY, BUCKLEY MEDIA GROUP The Lounge 0
JulienJ WIPO panel screws Domaining.com owner Francois Carrillo out of Ado.com Legal Issues and Dispute 1
JulienJ NamesCon Day Three Explores Crypto and Domaining Intersection Cryptocurrencies 0
JulienJ Trending domaining keywords: Coin, Crypto, Wallet, Blockchain, Ripple The Lounge 0
JulienJ Trending domaining keywords: Coin, Crypto, Wallet, Blockchain, Ripple The Lounge 0
domainking131 Domaining Europe to return to Valencia in 2018 The Lounge 0
domainking131 Is 50% of the domaining industry about to be washed away? Probably… The Lounge 1
domainking131 Spending more time on crypto currency than domaining? Cryptocurrencies 0
Sushant21 Sushant new to domaining Introduce Yourself 2