$50-million gift/donation to Harvard Business School from One INDIAN.

IT.com

ebiz4india

In the largest ever gift from an international donor in Harvard Business School's 102-year-old history, Mr. Ratan Tata, chairman of the Tata Group, announced a $50 million gift to fund a new academic and residential building on the HBS campus in Boston.

Tata made the gift on behalf of the Tata Companies, the Sir Dorabji Tata Trust, and the Tata Education and Development Trust, the philanthropic entities of the Tata Group.

Harvard Business School hopes to break ground for the new building, which will be named Tata Hall, next spring.

The gift was announced at a press conference convened by Nitin Nohria, Dean of HBS, flanked by Tata and Boston Mayor Thomas M Menino.

Source: Rediff
Link: Tatas' $50-million gift to Harvard, largest from an international donor - Rediff.com Business

I live like 30 mins away from harvard, and while i think it is nice this guy made this donation, it is at the same time frustrating to see things like this. There's always talk in the US of the "culture of giving", of being a "philanthropist".well guess what? these GUYS who love giving always seem to give to those who need it the least. Harvard does not need that donation money,but how many poor indians could do with this help? How many poor people in the US could do with some philanthropic money? THese guys always make it seem genuine, but it can easily be seen as a shrewd business move- you get good PR because you're "donating",which is helping your business' image, you lower your tax liability, and you ease your guilt(sometimes) if you're really rich and worry about all those poor people who might have ended up wth some of your greedy money.

its a matter of prespective :)
someone granting to his/her alma-ata is great thing, a no brainer actually,
the subject gained from the quality of education and he showed his appreciation with a miniscule fraction of his assets !
it is speculative , how much the gates foundation is giving away , but then tata has a philanthropic eye , to other areas is also accepted,

great PR , btw,

mahindra group owner also gave $10 million to harvard, why these sick people donate to US private vassities and not give a single penny to any indian school?

Few knows that Mr. Ratan Tata have studied (Business Administration) in Harvard Business School. The amount $50M is very little for him.

I always encourage people who give donations for education & rural development. No matter if the donation goes to India or USA or Africa. It will be utilized for education for human beings. Thats all matter.

Many maybe not aware that, USA companies gives Billions of Dollars work to Indian Companies (specially IT & PHARMA companies).

TCS belongs to Tata
TCS has been awarded dozens USA Govt. Tenders for IT Services. And this is no secret that those IT services contracts worth Billion of Dollars.

Tata has been funding Pure Drinking Water Projects in Thousand of Villages across India since many years and more than $100M has already been granted for this purpose only. Apart from Various Education & Training Societies and Institutions which runs on Donations from Tata Group.

Tata has given more to INDIA and INDIANS compare to what he has just donated to Harvard Business School.

So, cheers...!

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever you guys believe, I strongly believe every indian should skip donating other nations, but give inside india, latest report says we have 490 million people facing hunger as a threat, its totally foolish to donate $50mn to only raise a collar. Also its total defunctional mind to donate in a nation which diplocately oppose india in every aspect, be it supporting pakistan, or be it blaming india as a leader of 3rd world countries polluting the world.

Free for all
Every one here is utilizing his/her RIGHT for FREEDOM OF SPEECH.

I always encourage people who give donations for education & rural development. No matter if the donation goes to India or USA or Africa. It will be utilized for education for human beings. Thats all matter.

whatever you guys believe, I strongly believe every indian should skip donating other nations, but give inside india, latest report says we have 490 million people facing hunger as a threat, its totally foolish to donate $50mn to only raise a collar. Also its total defunctional mind to donate in a nation which diplocately oppose india in every aspect, be it supporting pakistan, or be it blaming india as a leader of 3rd world countries polluting the world.

You made a good point but Mr. Ratan Tata is not an Politician.
It is the duty of the Politicians of INDIA to provide:-
Corruption Free Governance
Better Living Standards
And take care of people who lives below poverty line.

But as we all know, only 5% politicians are good and rest are the esteem customers of international banks.

In India, a single MLA (Member of Legislative Assembly) is an $Millionaire where as his/her constituency lack better roads, routine power cuts & pathetic water problems and Hello, education was never on agenda of either MLA or MP (member of parliament). If at all Center Government allocate Funds for EDUCATION, it first get distributed among themselves, their deputies, their clerks, and sub-contracts will be awarded to their own relatives, so they can steal more and donate/provide less to the needy.

Note: USA is a good country so USA Citizens, why few hate USA because of USA Former President(s) and Its because of USA Foreign Policies towards few countries.

Cheers..>!

wel no politician issue here, Just look at title of thread, it says INDIAN, when u say indian, our india needs more then a private university in an alien land. period.

Well i am happy to know that Tata is donating money in India. I didn't know that. On the other hand, why didn't he give$1-$10M? why 50? EIther way,This indian man has the right to give his money to whoever he chooses.Yes India does have alot of work ahead,but luckily there's alot of positive things in the mix, like .in domains! lol.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom