21 DAYS TO BECOMING A BETTER DOMAINER

IT.com

JulienJ

When I started in the domain name industry, I knew no other domainers. None. I had no idea what I was doing or where to turn for answers. I stumbled across Elliott’s Blog, now DomainInvesting.com, while I was looking for a way to sell a domain I had since the 90’s. I pretty quickly became a regular reader and even reached out to Elliott with a couple of questions, which he patiently answer for me. Soon, I found domaining.com and with it, several fantastic resources on the domain name industry. I was engulfed. I started blogging as a way to share information with my fellow noobs and to learn from those that were succeeding in the industry. That was 8 years ago.
I’ve learned an amazing amount in the years since I began and I’ve met dozens of great people.

Monday I’m kicking off a series called 21 Days to Becoming a Better Domainer. This is intended for those fairly new to the industry and struggling to make any progress. That’s not to say that a seasoned domainer won’t find value in this but it is written with the beginner in mind.

Domainers at any level will find subtle reminders and perhaps inspiration in some of the posts in the series. These may be things you’ve done or observed in the past and things you continue to do today. Nothing I’ll be talking about is particularly groundbreaking, amazing, or a secret ritual only shared among the hidden society of elite domainers. It’s instead, a plan to get beginners up to speed faster and a reminder to those who have been in the industry for a while. Sometimes it’s easy to forget the fundamentals.

I would love to hear feedback from the beginners and comments from the seasoned pros as the series rolls out. Tell me where I’m wrong or where your experience has differed. There is nothing to lose here and everything to gain.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

This is coming up soon. Stay Tuned

DAY 2 – COMMENT ON 3 BLOGS YOU HAVEN’T COMMENTED ON BEFORE

Welcome to day 2 of 21 days to becoming a better domainer. Nobody said this was going to be difficult. In fact, the steps are easy, actually taking action is the hardest part.

Today we’re building off of the topic we started yesterday. Instead of reading blogs and being content with what you have read, learned, or not learned, I am going to ask you to post a comment on blog posts by 3 bloggers that you haven’t commented on before. This may be easy for some of you who may have never commented on a domain blog before. For others, you may need to do a little searching to find a new blog or maybe even one you don’t like. The goal is to find 3 articles by 3 different bloggers and leave a comment.

DAY 3 – JOIN A DOMAIN MESSAGE FORUM

We’re into day 3 of 21 days to becoming a better domainer and just building on the foundation we already started. Again, this isn’t a hard one but it can pay you back exponentially. Join a domain themed message forum and be active.

These domain forums are a gift. Just as domain blogs share information and experiences, so too do the forums. But often in a more interactive way. There can be hundreds of conversations taking place at any given time. You can just read along and see what people are saying and learn from that. You can interject, ask questions or start your own thread if there is something you want to know or hear about the experiences of others. You can offer domains for sale, but in my opinion, this is not the best spot to do that. A topic for another time.

DAY 4 – KEEP A JOURNAL OR NOTES ON WHAT YOU ARE LEARNING
If you’re still hanging in there with me, we’re on day 4 of 21 days to becoming a better domainer. Today’s focus is to start tracking and organizing what you learn by keeping a journal or notes.

We’ve been visiting blogs, posting comments, reading forum threads and engaging in conversation with other domainers all in just a few days time. That’s a lot to take in. Now’s the time to capture and organize this information. There are many ways to do that. I have a friend who never had to take notes or study in college. He just remembered everything he heard and saw with no effort, even after a night out drinking. I, unfortunately, am like most people and can’t rely on my brain to accurately hold and recall most information. I may even be a little worse than most people when it comes to remembering things. My wife tells me that I’m so forgetful that I could plan my own surprise party.

DAY 8 – ANSWER THIS ONE QUESTION…
What’s your mission?
Yesterday you asked yourself some questions about your domains. Today you’re going to ask yourself a question about yourself. What is your domaining mission? Are you hoping to quit your day job and do this full-time? Is it just a hobby and you like dabbling in this space for pure pleasure? Is it to bring in a few extra bucks on the side? The answer to “What’s my domaining mission?” should define how you proceed from this point forward.

You need to plan your route
You see where I’m going with this? If your answer to the mission question is, “I like to dabble,” then your ride is going to be shorter and less effort. Just do what you want to do. Buy a few hand regs or a lower cost premium name and see how it goes. You’re in no hurry, the mortgage isn’t depending on it. If they sell, well then hey that was fun. If not, maybe they will, just give it some time. You don’t have to make a tremendous study of the process you follow. You do need to grow and learn and become better at domaining (although you may want to just for the enjoyment of it). There is less pressure.

DAY 11 – INVEST IN YOURSELF
Day 11 of 21 days to becoming a better domainer certainly comes with good time. The always anticipated NamesCon event is taking place this week and I’m sure your feed will be full of stories highlighting every moment. But I’m not here to talk about NamesCon specifically, although it is fabulous example of what we’re focusing on today. You’ve invested in domain names and now it’s time to invest a little in yourself.

Plan to attend a domain event.
1. Hear from well respected expert speakers in the industry
2. Learn about industry trends, businesses and offerings
3. Make face to face, real world connections with people
4. Make a buck
5. Enjoy yourself

DAY 12 – CONTRIBUTE
You’ve arrived at day 12 of 21 day2 to becoming a better domainer. You’re over the hump in this series. Today topic is about giving back. I’ll accept checks, cash, Bitcoin, and select gift cards. Alright, sounded funnier in my head than when I wrote it. We’re talking about giving back to the domain community. There are many ways to do this and we’ll touch on a few.

You’ve been a domainer now for somewhere between 12 days (if you stumbled onto this series and began to follow along blindly) and 27 years (if you’re the guy that register Symbolics.com). In either case, you have gained some know-how. Maybe a little or maybe a massive amount. The fact is, you have something to share. Somewhere out there is a person or group of people that know less than you do. It’s in your best interest to spread the knowledge.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom