proof of ownership

IT.com

domainnewbie

Hi all
Greetings to everybody!!

I have a coupel of domain names registered.

How to have proof of ownership for any future sale (.in or .com)?

What are documents required while selling?
Thnks

Hello domainnewbie and welcome to INForum!

If you've got control of the email address the domain is registered under, you've got control of the domain. There is not really any such thing as ownership documents for domain names.

Thanks Jeff!
And thanks for the prompt reply.

I was curious as to what exactly changes hands (documents etc.) between the buyer and seller, for example, in the iCloud.com sale?
Does the seller prove in front of the buyer that he owns the concerned e-mail address?

Also, any ideas on the taxation rules on sale of domain names in India (.in and .com)?
I apologize if any of this has been covered earlier.

regards...

@domainnewbie:

if seller wants a proof that you can show screenshot of your control panel or tell him to send email on administrative contact.

i am not sure about icloud sales...

as such there is no taxation on sale of domain names as domain is a product, considered as trading, not sale of service.. however there is lot of debates going on in the industry for domain as a service..

Thanks Jeff!
And thanks for the prompt reply.

I was curious as to what exactly changes hands (documents etc.) between the buyer and seller, for example, in the iCloud.com sale?
Does the seller prove in front of the buyer that he owns the concerned e-mail address?

Also, any ideas on the taxation rules on sale of domain names in India (.in and .com)?
I apologize if any of this has been covered earlier.

regards...

If you request the registrar then they can help you out by giving you ownership certificates or sometimes directly confirming to your buyer.

We have some cases where buyer contacted us and we confirm them the ownership.

Rules are in place but practical approach always require to help the end user and we at Mitsu always go out of rule book and provided help to end users.

If a registrar sells a domain name/ website you own / have paid for, by making false claims/ allegations, what are the legal options available?

Well known registrars like Directi, Mitsu will not indulge in this practice, but the new players or others may do something inorder to earn some quick money.

In such cases, your Whois record will come to your rescue.

What you need to do is this.

1. Maintain accurate whois
2. In case of dispute, report the matter to Nixi (as they are the parent body controlling the registrars, be it big players or small ones)
3. If the above does not help, take the legal route (as Nixi is a Govt Body and should fall under Indian Laws and Principles)

Alternatively, you can also get in touch with experienced players in inforum (like mitsu) who can help you through their contacts.

My suggestion to domainers are

1. Maintain clean whois information
2. Have domains with well known registrars (refer to inregistry website for ranking)

We have just posted one article in this regard for your reference (in general domain name discussion)...Please let us know about your liking...

Last edited by a moderator:

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilamburfurniture
Top Bottom