One source of traffic enough?

IT.com

Dusart

Banned
I just read an article which claimed that you can have a highly successful online business with just one source of traffic if you focus on learning all there is to know about it and become an expert in it. Do you think that this is true?

All depends on what the source is and how Google currently treats it.

If your only source of traffic is depending on typos to get people to your intentionally misspelled website for example, you might want to get on a different road.

Yeah, that makes sense. But what if it was something reliable? I'm sure they meant something like forum commenting or guest posting or something like that.

The problem is that you are really dependent on that source not changing or going down. Look at all the content sites that got slammed by one change in the google algorhythm, penalising duplicate content.

If you kept in mind that you can't have all your traffic eggs in one basket and got a few more streams going, could you still just mainly focus on the one and make money from it?

If you have five sources of getting visitors to your website or blog, you will obviously know if one is performing better or converting better. Do less of the other four and more of the winner.

All depends on what the source is and how Google currently treats it.

If your only source of traffic is depending on typos to get people to your intentionally misspelled website for example, you might want to get on a different road.
I like this point of view. At the end of the day, what matters is not how many sources of traffic you have but rather, the quantity and quality of traffic generated. So yeah, I agree with that article.

Depending on typos and misspelled words might work in the short term but I don't see that strategy working in the long term. I think it's just better to do things the right way and build up your traffic streams accordingly.

Content marketing in a way to help users or entertain them can build good traffic. There are many examples online

Yeah, that makes sense. But what if it was something reliable? I'm sure they meant something like forum commenting or guest posting or something like that.

Well, if you put it that way, that changes things.

Guest posting in and of itself is a good way to do this, all the while keeping in mind that the avenues taken to do this create an ever changing landscape. It used to be just chat forums themselves, whether stand-alone forums or forums that are an extension of a bigger site.

But since chat forums are a social avenue, a place where people go to talk shop and socialize, they are now being called social media. Like Facebook or Twitter. With this new moniker comes more guest posting avenues to explore. Like You Tube Channels, alternate social media sites like Disqus and any comment page on any random blog where you access the comment sections through your Google, Twitter of Facebook account.

So as you can see, the WAYS that a person can guest post have exploded recently so, therefore, that ONE WAY of driving traffic now has a side roads you can travel.

Different roads.......one car.

Reading this, I get the idea that it isn't advisable to only concentrate on one source of traffic, however reliable it may be. What if it goes haywire? Having said this (and I don't mean to divert from this topic) what are your thoughts on paid traffic? To me, it doesn't matter how much is paid but rather whether (ultimately) there are conversions.

Define paid traffic. If you mean paying someone to write an ongoing blog series (which is a good way to get people to come back to your site), people do that all the time. Most people who own a website are not good writers, so they farm that task out to people who are.

I think in this case paid traffic means stuff like Facebook ads, or Solo ads, or even using Google Adwords and other stuff like that.

To me, it doesn't matter how much is paid but rather whether (ultimately) there are conversions.

But if the conversions end up not being profitable, meaning that their revenue does not exceed the amount paid to get the conversions, then it does matter how much was paid. It would to me at least.

Strongly, I believe and know that one source of traffic can be enough to drive unlimited traffic to your website or blog. For instance, if you are using Facebook alone as your only source of traffic, you can get more than enough traffic from it if you learn all that needs to be mastered before getting started.
Apart from creating Facebook pages, you can also make use of Facebook Ads at little or no cost to you, and you will be surprised at the fantastic results you will start seeing.

Let's take Google+ also, for example, as the only source of traffic for your website or blog. Google+ is well-known to be a great social media and a traffic source that gives you instant traffic. So, if all necessary steps towards building traffic with this source are properly taken, you will drive enough traffic to your website or blog.

Last edited:
I know many viral and clickbait type of websites which are making good money. They are doing this through the social media traffic. They don't get much SEO value. But they get a lot of traffic through such social media websites. I think such type of strategy if worked for all, it's worth going forward. I am sure there are some good ways to make social media users to turn into your customers.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
angemon
Top Bottom