No $17 million rebate for struggling new gTLDs - Colin Campbell Comments

Discussion in 'New GTLDs' started by owl, Sep 5, 2017.

1. owl

owl United States Member

Source - http://domainincite.com/22053-no-17-million-rebate-for-struggling-new-gtlds

Colin Campbell, the CEO and co-founder of .CLUB domains, commented below the article.

New domain registires should get no reduction in ICANN fees. Also why is it ICANN's job to market new domain extensions? They are supposed to an independent governing organisation.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Foroux likes this.
  2. Foroux

Foroux Member

So, some of the owners basically want an industry bailout from ICANN. How silly! You made a strategic investment decision that didn't work out the way you hoped. The answer is to either increase demand through marketing and promotions or to scrap the plan all together and take the loss. It's interesting how quickly the tide would turn if these gTLDs were raking in big bucks and someone suggested implementing a price cap. Imagine the howls about regulation then!

I do think ICANN hordes more money than it should, but that certainly doesn't mean the funds should be used for the benefit of gTLDs.

3. ritchie

ritchie Kenya Member

Even without delving into the details, I'm amazed at the amount of money being discussed here; $350 million is quite a huge sum. I am in absolute agreement with Colin Campbell when in his comments, he places a huge emphasis on the fact that lack of awareness has halted progress.