Joomla or Wordpress

IT.com

Rob101

I have been using Joomla as my main CMS for all the sites i design for my own business or for my clients. I just recently created a site in Wordpress because the client requested that CMS and I have found it quite good. I had never used it before. I would love to get some feedback from you guys on good reason why I should switch to wordpress?

I think that it depends how technically proficient you are. Most people tell me Joomla is better. I haven't used it for a few years now, but when I did, I found it much more difficult than Wordpress, which is why I stuck with Wordpress. So, I think for the average person Wordpress is better, for techies Joomla is better.

Hello @Rob101, as you may have noticed WordPress is -in general lines- easier to use than Joomla.

With WordPress, easy tasks are easy to undertake hence customers feel useful and pleased to do it themselves.

Joomla is more oriented to experienced webmasters, requiring management capabilities that may not be on par with the skills of the beginner who starts in web management.

Joomla was designed as a content management system from day one; WordPress, as a publishing platform that has evolved and has also become a content management system. There is a difference in them. Joomla was oriented to cover complex tasks from the beginning, however WordPress has been evolving constantly towards covering more complex needs over time. I guess there will be a convergence that makes them interchangeable in the end.

Today, the problem is to identify exactly what you want to do in your web. If the tasks will not be very complex, the best option is WordPress. Conversely, if your website needs to implement many advanced options, it is preferable to use Joomla, precisely because of the flexibility and power that characterizes it.

It is said that WordPress is the tool for 90% of webmasters; for the other 10% Joomla and other CMS will be fit. If in doubt, choose WordPress.

Hello @Rob101, as you may have noticed WordPress is -in general lines- easier to use than Joomla.

With WordPress, easy tasks are easy to undertake hence customers feel useful and pleased to do it themselves.

Joomla is more oriented to experienced webmasters, requiring management capabilities that may not be on par with the skills of the beginner who starts in web management.

Joomla was designed as a content management system from day one; WordPress, as a publishing platform that has evolved and has also become a content management system. There is a difference in them. Joomla was oriented to cover complex tasks from the beginning, however WordPress has been evolving constantly towards covering more complex needs over time. I guess there will be a convergence that makes them interchangeable in the end.

Today, the problem is to identify exactly what you want to do in your web. If the tasks will not be very complex, the best option is WordPress. Conversely, if your website needs to implement many advanced options, it is preferable to use Joomla, precisely because of the flexibility and power that characterizes it.

It is said that WordPress is the tool for 90% of webmasters; for the other 10% Joomla and other CMS will be fit. If in doubt, choose WordPress.

Thank you for such detailed feedback!

I have alwasy loved Joomla because it allows me to tweak sites with my html,css and php knowledge. I guess that the one thing people keep telling me is that wordpress is safer in regards to hacking attacks, but I have alwasy been careful to configure my joomla sites in ways that avoid any kind of issues with shared hosting vulnerablities.

Thanks again for the help to both,

Rob

Rob, I need your help. I have selected Joomla for one of my website. Website would be website about a city in India. I need Joomla and forum, business directory, classified, news, calendar and web links. My first question is which template I should select? After that I need your help in choosing extensions for forum, business directory, classified and calendar.Thanks in advance.

WordPress is a powerful platform made simple to use. I used it for years for many tasks without much problem. It provides advanced settings only if we need them. I used the free service most (the .com one), but I've heard that the upgrade (to .org) is worthy of its price without making webmasters worry too much about technical details. Joomla seems more complicated, although I didn't use it long or deep enough to comment much.

Rob, I need your help. I have selected Joomla for one of my website. Website would be website about a city in India. I need Joomla and forum, business directory, classified, news, calendar and web links. My first question is which template I should select? After that I need your help in choosing extensions for forum, business directory, classified and calendar.Thanks in advance.

Well, the template has nothing to do with the functionality and you can alwasy change it if you need to, but do make sure that you have a 3 column structure for the template in order to fit as many modules as youn need. For forums I would recommend Kunena.

Joomla and wordpress have a lot in common (open source, PHP based, MySQL database support, community driven etc. ), but each content management platform has its pros and cons.

- Wordpress is dairly easy to install ad will take a small amount of time to properly set it up according to your needs. Joomla is not quite straightforward compared to Wordpress, but is also quick to setup nevertheless.

- Wordpress has a lot of free templates and extensions to choose from compared to Joomla, and also provides premium alternatives created by third party theme shops.

- Both CMS have a great support community related to web design and development. Also both have a sturdy security system, with quick updates and quick response to vulnerabilities, Wordpress patch it up everything automatically but Joomla leave it up to the user .

Joomla has more built in features than Wordpress and is more modular. But Wordpress is notably more beginner friendly overall.

You really feel that wordpress is more modular? I think that is the beauty of Joomla, the options are huge in that sense.

Since I started creating websites, I have only used WordPress. I have never tried Joomla and I don't even know anything about it. I guess it's just a matter of what you're used to.

I'd honestly suggest that you go with wordpress, it is one of the best if not the best platform to quickly and easily get your site up and running and looking good without much technical know how. It is very easy to install compared to other platforms and a lot of webhosts usually have a 1 click install script option to install wordpress for you. The library of themes and plugins for wordpress is also massive and contains bascially everything you need to add style and functionality to your site. The technical support for wordpress is also one of the best with a large and helpful support forum that you can post to and ask for help with anything that maybe troubling you and quickly get an answer.

WordPress probably, it depends on how proficient you are with Joomla. WordPress is popular and easy to use, even if you're a webmaster veteran, easy to use isn't a bad thing. It can save time and money. But I've heard good things about Joomla, not really using it a ton myself. I'd give it a shot, if it is too complicated and takes too much time to learn I'd stick with WP, not much Joomla can do that WP can't, and then you'd save the time and in result, save the money :)

Thank you Rob, I emphasized on template first because position of modules is dependent on template functionality. I have chosen Wright framework by Joomlashack. I indeed has chosen Kunena as well.
Well, the template has nothing to do with the functionality and you can alwasy change it if you need to, but do make sure that you have a 3 column structure for the template in order to fit as many modules as youn need. For forums I would recommend Kunena.

Prior to Joomla updating I was a huge fan, however the updated software has become way too complicated..I am currently revisiting WordPress for ease of use.

Cheers
Corey

Both CMS applications have their plus and minus point but if you say why you need to switch to wordpress the simple reason is, its the most used CMS application in the market ..more WP websites means more business for you.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
angemon
Top Bottom