.IN Renewal costs

IT.com
Dear all

There are a few GTLD registries who are increasing their annual renewals, passing their costs onto the registrars.

For example; a domainer hand registers a GTLD domain for $20-$30, then the next year comes and he/she is told that their domain name is a premium domain, and the registrar insists that the owner pays $500. (The registrar claims that the GTLD registry has increased the annual renewal price)

Could this happen with .IN domains?

(Recently the Indian Government has asked for 15% TAX for digital ownership)

My worry is that the Indian Registry may start to increase the renewal of premium .in domains, in order to make more money.

Please provide your thoughts

I'm sure that there will be price increases over time, but I think a ccTLD registry is under a lot more political and other constraints than a new gTLD registry when it comes to raising prices. And as the userbase for .in grows, the more difficult it will be to increases prices. If you look at most ccTLD, the price remains remarkably constant over time, even as general prices increase.

I'm not sure how a ccTLD registry could charge more for premium domains, particularly when the domain wasn't originally sold as a premium. That seems like a legal quagmire. And particularly with respect to .in, the Registry seems to be loathe to considering domains to be financial assets.

I'm sure that there will be price increases over time, but I think a ccTLD registry is under a lot more political and other constraints than a new gTLD registry when it comes to raising prices. And as the userbase for .in grows, the more difficult it will be to increases prices. If you look at most ccTLD, the price remains remarkably constant over time, even as general prices increase.

I'm not sure how a ccTLD registry could charge more for premium domains, particularly when the domain wasn't originally sold as a premium. That seems like a legal quagmire. And particularly with respect to .in, the Registry seems to be loathe to considering domains to be financial assets.

.com and a CCTLD
Do you mean that if it is not intially sold as a premium, there are no cases where the registry has inflated the price, when a renewal was due.

.com and a CCTLD
Do you mean that if it is not intially sold as a premium, there are no cases where the registry has inflated the price, when a renewal was due.

That's right - for a specific domain. Registration fees in general have gone up over time.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
hel
Top Bottom