Hiring a WebMaster

IT.com

Kaitlin

Banned
What are some of the questions that you need to ask when considering hiring a webmaster for your small business. I know they are supposed to 'do it all' but what exactly would they be doing for you?

Activity, Promotion, response to post if it is a community.

Not required but most of the website owner like to know previous experience.

I agree with esel. Also, you can ask about any qualifications or certifications, or if they have a portfolio of sites they manage that you can see. Also, define what you want them to do: just run your site, or manage things like your social media promotion or your general I.T. Those are all very different skills.

That makes sense to define exactly what you need them to do, you would be surprised at how easy it is to hire someone only to find out that they have a completely different idea from yours as to what they are actually going to be doing.

So does this essentially mean that you have to hire two or more different people to take care of separate things like IT and Social Media Marketing and so on? Can't it all be one person doing everything at once?

It can be, but you need to be up front about what is required. Don't ask someone to run your website, and expect them to do IT support for the office. Don't be like the person who offers an HTML javascript role, paying that wage, and then it turned out they expected sysadmin and database admin duties on top. The person they hired didn't have the skills for it.

Hiring a webmaster is all about the technical skills, but also available hours. Let's say we have an issue in the site, we need to have it readily solved, so agreeing on a response time seems important too.

Past projects and work history would be of great importance. Also, certificates and degrees would be important, though, not absolutely necessary. Finally, the possibility of striking a deal on rates would definitely be on the table.

You all have summed it up really well. I feel that before even asking all the questions, you should be very clear of what tasks the webmaster will be performing.

Break your requirement down and hire the webmaster based on those tasks. So if one task is done nicely and another not so much, then that process would be lot easier this way. I think breaking requirements always helps you reach goals easier. And webmaster can also skip things which he or she is not comfortable with.

Yeah, we need to realize what we need exactly from the webmaster and hire accordingly. At the same time, we need to have good money to hire the best.

I always see a problem when you hire a webmaster and think that just because there's enough experience, you can add him/her more tasks along the way. The tasks at hand have to be set explicitly from the beginning.

whois

Forums dedicated to Indian domain names, including buying, selling, appraising, developing, and monetizing.

About Us

Threads
Members
Latest member
angemon
Top Bottom